Fusion Restoration

jonoashton

Phil
Things are looking good. I always make sure that the colors are very different on the top from on the bottom so as orientation is easier when things are going wrong.
Have you still got the old ailerons ?? if so, regardless on how bad they are, I can vacuum bag them for you and they will be better than any other product
Jono

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
taped up the fuse with the fibre tape and fitted the wing - there is a plug between the wing and the fuse which is very nice - next I want to re-fit all the 'tronics' and try and charge the batteries - first time with NiMH batteries (5 x 1.2v).

View attachment 167219
Wow you really brought this sloper around, is that all EPP or EPO? For the batteries you were sayin you were goin to use the original batteries you got with the plane? Wouldn't lithium ion 18650's be a better option

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
my experience with coroplast as elevons is they are not very rigid, without reinforcement. in my case i was using them on a fast powered fpv wing so maybe yours will be just fine.

bracesport

Legendary member
All EPP (similar to the packaging for computer parts) - should bounce well with my landings!

I think the NiMH batteries last longer than the lithium and there will be no BEC on board, however I can still use my lithium.

Wow you really brought this sloper around, is that all EPP or EPO? For the batteries you were sayin you were goin to use the original batteries you got with the plane? Wouldn't lithium ion 18650's be a better option

bracesport

Legendary member
the good news is the batteries seem to be working (6.2v) - I dry fitted the electronics and fired up the servos - mostly good apart from a bit of grumbling from the RHS aileron servo - what is very cool is the charging plug that when fitted is the charging point and kill switch all in one - it is a marvellous bit of ingenuity - I will make some antenna mounts! :D

@jonoashton - I need to sort the beeper as so far I have been unable to turn it off )it beeps so it does work)?

IMG_9108.JPG
IMG_9110.JPG

jonoashton

A 5 cell freshly charged should give you closer to 7 volts than 6.2. I forgot that it was a five cell in that model. The good thing about a 5 cell pack is that the servos only need 4.8v to work so there is plenty of juice. The bad thing is that a fresh charge can have too much charge when it is just off the charger (sometimes for up to a half hour or more). I have fried good quality servos by charging and then turning on too soon.

I can't wait until you get it covered and in the air. Today we had 3 fusions combating !!

I will get the ailerons bagged asap

Jono

bracesport

Legendary member
it all turned out pretty well (nice and light and stiff), except one side of the bag is textured so I got one smooth face and one textured face - I decided to trim and sand all the faces and smear another coat of epoxy before going back into another bag, this time a foil bag (smooth on both faces) - the parts are good and I am just messing around trying to improve for next time! :D

IMG_9249.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
so I de-bagged the ailerons this morning (second coat of epoxy) and I think for the first attempt they are sweet.

you can see there is a tad too much epoxy but they are light and stiff - I lost a bit of vacuum when the domestic sealer unit ejects the vacuum nozzle and then seals the end of the bag - next time I will seal the bag completely and pull the vacuum through a nozzle, it will certainly help with squishing out a bit more epoxy.

I will also wet sand the ailerons a bit more to see what effect that has.

I can not wait to make a wing (or two)! :)

IMG_9287.JPG
IMG_9288.JPG