• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

g828's late STOL build thread

Well it certainly flies well enough.

I do wonder about its power (thrust) to weight to wing area ratios.

My own experiments suggest a thrust to weight 1:1 and a wing loading (with big flaps down) of 8oz/sqft to get the minimum flying speed close to 5mph.

It should then hover in just a gentle breeze but only if you have the necessary control! ;)

g828

Stickman

Tried again with tips from Fred. Might have been the rain pushing the plane down, but I couldn't get the plane to stay up.

FlyingMonkey

Stuck in Sunny FL
Staff member
Admin
What was my tips?

The under cambered wing had the "wrong airfoil"

There needs to be a more defined arch, with the highest point in the arch in the first third of the wing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Mentor
G,

that's an awesome fast build cycle -- with improvement at each step. Can't imagine what you'd have after a week of this!

What was my tips?

The under cambered wing had the "wrong airfoil"

There needs to be a more defined arch, with the highest point in the arch in the first third of the wing.

The tip was the dihedral, it made the plane easier to fly

I had the undercambered okay at the root of the wing. It got a little distorted at the ends

FlyingMonkey

Stuck in Sunny FL
Staff member
Admin
I use a yardstick, and something with a good point. A ball point pen with the pointy cover on it works pretty well. I trace lines with the yardstick the length of the wings, and then fold/crease it along those depressions.

Makes for a clean, even airfoil.