g828's late STOL build thread

g828

Stickman
Contest thread can be found here...

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?4445-CONTEST!!!!-Build-a-STOL-Bush-Plane

My Try at the STOL plane

First drawings
DSCF4264.JPG

g828

Stickman
Video:

I don't think it's worth it to try to fix this plane. Will try something else.

quorneng

Master member
Well it certainly flies well enough.

I do wonder about its power (thrust) to weight to wing area ratios.

My own experiments suggest a thrust to weight 1:1 and a wing loading (with big flaps down) of 8oz/sqft to get the minimum flying speed close to 5mph.

It should then hover in just a gentle breeze but only if you have the necessary control! ;)

g828

Stickman

Tried again with tips from Fred. Might have been the rain pushing the plane down, but I couldn't get the plane to stay up.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
What was my tips?

The under cambered wing had the "wrong airfoil"

There needs to be a more defined arch, with the highest point in the arch in the first third of the wing.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
G,

that's an awesome fast build cycle -- with improvement at each step. Can't imagine what you'd have after a week of this!

g828

Stickman
What was my tips?

The under cambered wing had the "wrong airfoil"

There needs to be a more defined arch, with the highest point in the arch in the first third of the wing.

The tip was the dihedral, it made the plane easier to fly

I had the undercambered okay at the root of the wing. It got a little distorted at the ends

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I use a yardstick, and something with a good point. A ball point pen with the pointy cover on it works pretty well. I trace lines with the yardstick the length of the wings, and then fold/crease it along those depressions.

Makes for a clean, even airfoil.