Gas tank help?

Hello,
I have never done this before which is why i need help. What is in the picture is all that came in that package although i swore there was another rubber tube when i took it out and if i need another tube i will look for it.
Isaac

Heres all the contents
100_1219_zps2d14f288.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That's all you need.

The two long tubes get bent toward the top of the tank and to the bottom of the tank. the short tube get's the fuel line and the clunk. Make sure the clunk/fuel line make it all the way to the back of the tank but can move freely from top to bottom. You'll have to point all the pipes the same direction to fit them in the hole just take some needle nose pliers and twist them in the correct orientation before you tighten everything down.

Once you get it all put together, plug the ends and submerge the whole tank in water in the sink and squeeze, if no air bubbles escape then the tank won't leak.

Yw68762.jpg

Last edited:
That's all you need.

The two long tubes get bent toward the top of the tank and to the bottom of the tank. the short tube get's the fuel line and the clunk. Make sure the clunk/fuel line make it all the way to the back of the tank but can move freely from top to bottom. You'll have to point all the pipes the same direction to fit them in the hole just take some needle nose pliers and twist them in the correct orientation before you tighten everything down.

Once you get it all put together, plug the ends and submerge the whole tank in water in the sink and squeeze, if no air bubbles escape then the tank won't leak.

View attachment 9029

Thanks much, but im not sure some of the vocabulary you used, could you clear it up for me?

Yes, same engine and same plane.
Im a noob, its my first plane in building, although i had some knowledge before hand,
My reason for questions is because i dont have instructions -__-

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Since the plane has no cowl, just an exposed engine...use this two line fuel tank setup for simplicity.

The line to the engine connects to the carb. You simply pull the fuel line off the carb to fuel and de-fuel the plane. The vent line goes to the fuel fitting on the muffler.

two line fuel tank.jpg

Okay, so the short metal tube goes through the rubber piece into the tank, attaches to the long rubber hose and the metal piece..
then i bend a long metal rube from the tank, upwards to vent it?
How does it connect to the engine
and where does the 3rd hole come in?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Leave the third hole sealed, it won't be used. You'll need more fuel tubing to connect the fuel line from the tubes to the muffler and the carb.

Bend the metal tube very slowly b/c you don't want it to kink.

Okay, i have just as your second picture is, with the metal pieces screwed on the rubber one, the overflow pipe is bent to the top, i will need some more tubing i guess ill try to find the same size somewhere. so the overflow or vent line needs a tube that goes to the exhaust? and the tube with the clunk goes to the carb of the plane, then i fill it up with the carb tube?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
i will need some more tubing i guess ill try to find the same size somewhere. so the overflow or vent line needs a tube that goes to the exhaust? and the tube with the clunk goes to the carb of the plane, then i fill it up with the carb tube?
It needs to be silicone tubing...local hobby shop?

the vent line goes to the muffler

the clunk line goes to the carb and you pull the line off the carb to fill 'er up.

the two washers squeeze the stopper and expand it to hold it in place and to make it air and fuel tight.

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Oops, I'm sorry, silicone fuel tubing, not nylon.

Take your unused metal tube with you and check for a snug fit. I put the tiny zip ties one mine as an extra precaution.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
You definitely want to use zip ties on the lines that you won't be pulling off very often and they have little spring clamps for the lines that you'll be removing for filling. I'll get you a picture a little bit later. You should also put an inline filter in the line to the carb. If you can't see the fuel tank during filling, then you will always have to pull the line off the muffler as well.

During operation, the back pressure in the muffler is what pushes the fuel into the carb. The muffler pressure goes into the vent line which should be at the top of the tank, then pushes fuel through the clunk into the carb line and into the carb.

When you fill the tank, you pull the line off the carb and attach the line from your fuel pump. You pull the line off the muffler and let it hang where it won't spray fuel on your plane.
Start filling your tank and when it's totally full, fuel will reach the vent and start coming out of the line to the muffler. That's when you know the tank is completely full. You never want to run with less and risk losing power. Also, even if you only fly for two minutes, it's worth the extra two minutes to top off the tank before you go up again.

Back to the lines, definitely zip tie the ones that won't be coming off and use a clamp on the other two. Also make sure you have enough slack in the lines to prevent them being pulled loose in flight. I had that happen on my big nitro cub last year. Fortunately I was in a very large area and it floats like a big kite so I did a 180 and landed no problem. Zip tied my lines and continued flying without incident for the rest of the day.