Gas to Electric Conversion

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
You definitely want a separate receiver battery on a plane that size, if the ESC fails it's a goner. I've never had a separate BEC fail. Also useful is a plane stand so your plane won't get muddy or damaged when changing batteries upside down. I've done similar conversions myself:)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
The youtube video itself is called Eectric, so there is an L missing. Just as a side note :)

But other then that pretty much awesome episode :D just the way we´re all used to now :D:D:D

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I LOVE the "GOGTEC" and "lets change subject" ;-)
Impressing but not so scale like start :-(
I have never had any issues with built in or separate BECs - I trust both and the new controllers are fine.
I have had ESCs burnt for me in the air but the built in BEC has still worked fine taking my planes down "dead stick" without any problems.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You definitely want a separate receiver battery on a plane that size, if the ESC fails it's a goner. I've never had a separate BEC fail. Also useful is a plane stand so your plane won't get muddy or damaged when changing batteries upside down. I've done similar conversions myself:)
For sure! HK sells 2s LiFe Rx batteries for like $8.00 and with the 2s life's you don't have to use a voltage regulator or BEC like you do when using a 2s lipo to power the Rx.

John Campbell

Great episode.. Highly enjoyed it... One minor correction. Josh B. States the ESC Size is determined by the motor. Not 100% correct. It is a product of the motor and prop combination. Other that that, Great Episode. Job well done.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Great subject matter, and a well executed show!

I will take Josh Bixler to task on only one thing...

Why didn't you pull up the retracts on that bird? I kept waiting to see them retract, but noooo. Not even when he skidded it sideways. I expected them to collapse, but they held. That's a good pair of retracts on that plane.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Why didn't you pull up the retracts on that bird? I kept waiting to see them retract, but noooo. Not even when he skidded it sideways. I expected them to collapse, but they held. That's a good pair of retracts on that plane.
Probably becuase he said they put "tundra tires" on it. Probably woudn't fit in the wheel wells.

John Campbell

What was with that arming switch I haven't seen anything like that on Horizon's web site!

I assign one of my switches on spektrum as an arming switch. Makes the prop safe. To make the prop move, 2 accidents have to happen. When I want to lock out the prop when carrying or what ever when I have it powered, or working on another part. Keeps me from advancing the throttle.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Let's see an E-conversion of the Hangar-9 30cc P-47! I've got a few planes this size I'm thinking of building as electric instead of gas.

jeffreyheslop

i am wanting to convert my cmp giles 202 40 to electric. i have a os 55 on it right now.
i did the watts from pounds and it says i should get a 1200w motor
i just get confused on what battery i should get and esc.

Purebredmongrel

I have converted an L40 low wing sport to electric (5 cell 950 watts). Hobby king have a great range of motor mounts that can bolt onto the fire wall of most fuel powered planes. The motor simply screws into the mount. They hold the motor out in front which makes balancing the plane much easier. I recommend using loc tight on the screws or they tend to come loose.