GASB One

SSgt Duramax

Hi everyone. With my model D printing completed, I was on the fence on what my next project was going to be. After some digging, I had passed this model over several times and I don't know why. I am going to be doing the GASB one. I have found on this site where lots of people have printed it, but that is about the extent I have seen.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659724

As I see, here are some of the Pro's of the model.

1. Runs off Cheap A/F pack motor set up.
2. Should be relatively light (less than a pound)
3. 9 pieces and no glue, so easy to print and repair
4. Looks to be a well loved model
5. Long nose available to help with CG if need be. I will be printing the long nose version. If I don't need the long nose, I will print a short nose and use that.

Additionally, if you buy the plane's creator (Carletto) a coffee, for the low price of $3 you get excellent detailed instructions on all of his models in addition to this one. Apparently he has plans for a laser cutter too. Anyways, these directions are great, and better than I have gotten with 90% of other things I have received in my life, so $3 isn't a huge ask so I would encourage you if you are going to build one of these to support him.

Anyway, construction is pretty unique, it has two thin walls with a low infill between them for support. There should be very little other support structure throughout the rest of the plane.

I plan on building the northern pike after this, but my hangar will be at capacity after this plane, so I probably need to crash something real good. I predict that my model A will be first to die an untimely death, and maybe my zero as much as Iike crashing those. Who knows I may do the GASB 2 (his jet design) out of LW-PLA if my jet dies.

jpot1

Elite member
@SSgt Duramax - I did not have good luck with this model printing out of PLA. For its wingspan mine turned out heavy. It needs a really strong toss or better a bungee launch to get it moving. I’ve thought about trying again with LW-Pla but haven’t gotten around to it.

3FD70C54-E1AB-41F0-A9A8-21A2FF0D9071.jpeg

SSgt Duramax

@SSgt Duramax - I did not have good luck with this model printing out of PLA. For its wingspan mine turned out heavy. It needs a really strong toss or better a bungee launch to get it moving. I’ve thought about trying again with LW-Pla but haven’t gotten around to it.

View attachment 218031
The reason I didnt pick that one was due to the stated weight. I think if I try one of the other GASB planes ill go with lightweight.

SSgt Duramax

This is where we are at so far. Had a slight issue on that inner wing, not enough to reprint it. I bet my flooring guy knocked the table today while it was printing.

The prints are taking longer than I thought. But still nearly done. The sad thing is my translucent purple filament got in a couple days early. Had i known that I would have held off and done the purple. Oh well. If it flies good I can make another one and stuff LEDs in it. I was contemplating the northern pike but hey.

The powerplant will be the very first electric motor I bought, a 2200kv 2206 motor spinning a super snazzy 6x4.5x3 prop. These props are great.

20220207_204449.jpg

SSgt Duramax

Just as an update, this build is going great, but I can't get the ailerons to print right. For whatever reason, my printer tends to build up goop on the servo horn (could it be a retraction setting?) and it eventually ends up making enough contact with the part the print fails about half way through.

I have tried removing the support to print it upright, and lay it flat, but it doesn't quite work right. I am now going to try printing it without control horns and glueing some on later. I don't know what my printer is doing to cause this, but if it weren't for this. I would already have it together. I got pissed off and started printing my northern pike. I'll move back to it this weekend when I have more time to mess with the printer/STL file to come up with something which works.

Also, I think I have more black in it than I would like. It is held together with tape, so I got some green holographic duct tape at the dollar tree which looks great. If it flies well enough, I believe I will reprint it in transparent purple.

tomlogan1

Elite member

View attachment 218031
I've been printing in surface mode / surface in Cura and the difference in weight and time is substantial. I'm going to try the GASB One and see how it flies. I've done the Start UP plane free here (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/start-up-a-free-3d-printable-airplane.68969/) in regular PLA with a 2204 motor and it flies very well. This was printed in Surface Mode as well. I might make some of the other freebies out there worth the time to print them.

jpot1

Elite member
I've been printing in surface mode / surface in Cura and the difference in weight and time is substantial. I'm going to try the GASB One and see how it flies. I've done the Start UP plane free here (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/start-up-a-free-3d-printable-airplane.68969/) in regular PLA with a 2204 motor and it flies very well. This was printed in Surface Mode as well. I might make some of the other freebies out there worth the time to print them.

@tomlogan1, I’m not sure this plane was designed for surface mode. So if you use it you may miss internal structures. IMO the GASB is just too heavy for its wingspan.

tomlogan1

Elite member
@tomlogan1, I’m not sure this plane was designed for surface mode. So if you use it you may miss internal structures. IMO the GASB is just too heavy for its wingspan.
You may be correct, but it's a bit of PLA and with winter coming something to put on the build list. Sort of a calculated risk, I guess.

tomlogan1

Elite member
You are correct on Surface mode for this plane. No internal structures were evident after slicing. I'm now trying a technique in Prusa Slicer called "Even/Odd" under advanced settings. Reduced the projected printing time on one piece by 4 hours. Actually giving this one a go and will report back albeit a while as even with only 9 pieced to print it still takes quite a while to print.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Hi everyone. With my model D printing completed, I was on the fence on what my next project was going to be. After some digging, I had passed this model over several times and I don't know why. I am going to be doing the GASB one. I have found on this site where lots of people have printed it, but that is about the extent I have seen.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659724

As I see, here are some of the Pro's of the model.

1. Runs off Cheap A/F pack motor set up.
2. Should be relatively light (less than a pound)
3. 9 pieces and no glue, so easy to print and repair
4. Looks to be a well loved model
5. Long nose available to help with CG if need be. I will be printing the long nose version. If I don't need the long nose, I will print a short nose and use that.

Additionally, if you buy the plane's creator (Carletto) a coffee, for the low price of $3 you get excellent detailed instructions on all of his models in addition to this one. Apparently he has plans for a laser cutter too. Anyways, these directions are great, and better than I have gotten with 90% of other things I have received in my life, so $3 isn't a huge ask so I would encourage you if you are going to build one of these to support him.

Anyway, construction is pretty unique, it has two thin walls with a low infill between them for support. There should be very little other support structure throughout the rest of the plane.

I plan on building the northern pike after this, but my hangar will be at capacity after this plane, so I probably need to crash something real good. I predict that my model A will be first to die an untimely death, and maybe my zero as much as Iike crashing those. Who knows I may do the GASB 2 (his jet design) out of LW-PLA if my jet dies.
Been trying to slice this, but with Cura 5 as well as Prusa 2.5 I cannot get the settings to match the time stated in the manual for printing. The rear piece, for example, shows 9 hours and 3 minutes for slicing. Best I could come up with was 11 hours. Wrote to the developer and he said he could not help me. My $3 dollar cup of coffee was for naught. What slicer are you using and would you mind sharing the settings you used?

Thanks.

jpot1

Elite member
Using his settings from the instructions work fine. It’s all about print speed which he does not list. I took the external wing, used his settings and kept upping print speed. 65mm/s gets me to 6h29m which is a minute off his time. Interestingly the weight in Cura is 5g less.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Mine is printing out now and based on the first half (rear) it feels like it might be a bit heavy. I have a 2204 2300kv which spins a 6x4 or a 2812-1534 which uses a 7x6 prop. I've used both but the 2812-1534 has worked well on heavier planes. I there a chance a 7x6 would work on this plane?

Thanks.