Gee Bee QED

Piotrsko

Master member
Bunches of funny anecdotal stories in Sport Aviation back when Delmar first flew his. Everyone said there would be only one flight.......

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Bunches of funny anecdotal stories in Sport Aviation back when Delmar first flew his. Everyone said there would be only one flight.......
He agreed with Doolittle that flying it was like balancing a pencil on your finger tip. I tried modeling one in MSFS and he said it looked right but the flight characteristics weren't wild or unstable enough. Never did get it 'right', though I had one version that was almost unflyable. :ROFLMAO:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Plans are getting closer. I'm finding on V3 that using Fusion360 & Exactflat gets me within about a 1/16" of the skins fitting but then it's add or subtract to get a good fit on the formers. Any tips or tricks to getting it right the first time?
On V2 I'm using card stock for the canopy & windscreen. V3 will (hopefully) be 3D printed with clear windows. The windscreen doubles as the latch & handle for the battery hatch.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Plans are getting closer. I'm finding on V3 that using Fusion360 & Exactflat gets me within about a 1/16" of the skins fitting but then it's add or subtract to get a good fit on the formers. Any tips or tricks to getting it right the first time?
On V2 I'm using card stock for the canopy & windscreen. V3 will (hopefully) be 3D printed with clear windows. The windscreen doubles as the latch & handle for the battery hatch.
Look at how whit Armstrong did it. I don't remember what he used to flatten it but he made a video series.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Is exactflat free?
Kind of. It's free to use the online version but it doesn't let you download a dxf of your part unless you subscribe. So the work around is taking a screen shot of the final drawing and then import it to a drawing or cad program and trace and calibrate it.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Kind of. It's free to use the online version but it doesn't let you download a dxf of your part unless you subscribe. So the work around is taking a screen shot of the final drawing and then import it to a drawing or cad program and trace and calibrate it.
ok. thanks

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Version 3 is shaping up now that RL is giving me some breathing room. I think the difference between the Exactflat parts and my real world fit is part hand cutting inaccuracy and part the different thicknesses of DTFB and the waves or scallops in the board. It's taken cutting one for rough fit and a second final piece. I've been able to get the seams much tighter on this one by slightly beveling the edges that meet and using Foam Cure adhesive to give more time to work them into position. This plane only has 4 sections so it hasn't been too bad. I assembled the front three sections and then attached the wing. That allowed me to adjust section 4 that has the tail so that everything was parallel.

Internal structure
IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4239.JPG

Sections 1-3 and 4 coming together
IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4246.JPG

danskis

Master member
Very clean and simple construction - great work. Do you use a jig for the tail or just eyeball it?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I just eyeball it so that it looks right. The original's tail was twisted about 10 degrees and bowed to the left and it flew like a dream. So it doesn't have to be perfect, I just want it to look okay :)

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm constantly amazed how powerful the free version of Fusion 360 is. I decided I wanted a 'glass' canopy so I drew and printed a cockpit base and rear former and a separate windscreen. With some sanding they're both usable on the first try.

IMG_4249.JPG

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
That looks really good! I hope you get this one to fly really nice too. have you thought of adding flaps? It might add some good landing performance. Also, will there be landing gear?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
It slows down nicely so I didn't put in flaps, though it would be easy enough. It will have gear but I haven't done anything for 'spats'.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Any progress toward published plans?
Thanks for rattling my cage! I'd consider these beta plans. The structure is complete & tested but the canopy is iffy. I've been working on a 3D printed canopy but that isn't finalized yet. These plans have the canopy formers and a FB windscreen but they will probably have to be massaged for a good fit and I don't have a pattern for the cardstock main canopy and rear canopy fairing.
If anything isn't clear please holler.

IMG_4374.JPG

Attachments

• GeeBee QED.PDF
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • qed cowl v4.stl
    1.3 MB · Views: 0