Gemini V2 UAV wood build (dual FPV for Search and Rescue)

mountaindewdude76

As I am new to posting in this forum, I hope this area is suitable for my build thread.

Back in January, I found a video of this really amazing looking plane that has twin Power 15 motors spinning 13" APC props with dual FPV. I watched every video that was available and I immediately fell in love with the plane and I had to have one. Although there is a laser cut kit available, I opted to scratch build the plane (l love the build process). I'll post some pics below but here are some details:

10 foot wingspan with 3 cargo droppers (first aid supplies, bottled water, energy bars, etc)
2 Eflight Power 15 brushless motors
2 13x8 APC props
2 Castle Creations 50amp esc's
1 Castle Creations 20amp BEC Pro
1 Castle Creations 10amp BEC
9 Corona DS538HV metal gear servos
2 TGY-9018MG servos
1 Omnibus F4 v2 flight controller with Inav
1 ImmersionRC 5.8ghz 600mw vtx
5-10 3S 5000mah 45C lipo packs
1 Runcam Eagle 800 tvl camera
Flown with my new Taranis X9D Plus and X8R rx (programmed for 16 channels

Second FPV setup will be:

1 Spektrum AR8000 with satellite rx
1ImmersionRC 5.8ghz 600mw vtx
1 Runcam Eagle 800 tvl camera
1 Mobius camera

The original designer of this plane has built several of these planes and has actually flown his builds to 14,000 feet (lives in Mexico) and has logged a 4 hour flight.

Here are two videos from the original designer that have just captured my attention:

Now, after watching just those two videos....how can you NOT be inspired? lol He has many other great flight videos. I encourage anyone to check them out. I'm sure I've left out some details but I'll post more as the build progresses. I am a husband and a father, so my "build time" is limited, lol.

mountaindewdude76

Here are some pics of what i have so far

Attachments

• 20180412_152439.jpg
    20180412_152439.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180412_152409.jpg
    20180412_152409.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180412_152417.jpg
    20180412_152417.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180412_152426.jpg
    20180412_152426.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

mountaindewdude76

I had someone comment about this plane being 11 channels. I don't remember who you were....sorry about that! I'm sure you'll comment, lol.

the 11 channels will be:

1 - motor 1
2 - motor 2
3 - left aileron
4 - right aileron
5 - rudder and nose gear
6 - elevator
7 - left cargo dropper mounted on left wing
8 - right cargo dropper mounted on right wing
9 - air brakes
10 - pilots FPV camera tilt
11 - pilots FPV camera pan
possible 12th channel will be a belly cargo dropper

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice start on such a big project mate. I have a question though as I am not a fixed wing guy nor a long range person.

On the other guys build he had some dihedral just past the joints where the wing sections come together. I see you have not done that on your main wing. Was that intentional and if so how do you think it might effect the stability or the "self recover" aspect dihedral provides?

mountaindewdude76

Nice start on such a big project mate. I have a question though as I am not a fixed wing guy nor a long range person.

On the other guys build he had some dihedral just past the joints where the wing sections come together. I see you have not done that on your main wing. Was that intentional and if so how do you think it might effect the stability or the "self recover" aspect dihedral provides?
Yes, you are quite right about the missing dyhedral on my build. Originally, i wanted the dyhedral but i kept messing up the wing pieces and i couldnt get the dyhedral to match on both side. So....i just opted for the flat wing, for simplicity. Im very certain that ill give the dyhedral another try at a later date.

Will the lack of dyhedral effect the "self righting" capabilities? Yes, it certainly will. Will the plane still fly the dyhedral? Yes...im confident that the plane will do just fine.

Its all a new process for me. Ive never built a wood plane before lol.

mountaindewdude76

Holy smoke! That's some wingspan.

Do you plan to build the Future Star or just the Gemini V2?

Yes....its definitely a massive wingspan and im stoked!

Do i plan on building the Future Star? Honestly, i think you already know the answer to that question, ha ha ha. Of course i plan on building the Future Star. I dont feel the project would be complete without it LOL.

Stay tuned for more updates as time allows

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
OMG !!!

Makayla handles that sander better then most of the guys I know. Maybe we can borrow her to do some work around the apartment complex the "Professionals" screwed up when they "upgraded" where I live just a year ago that is already cracking and degrading from improper work methods and poor skills.

Get her her favorite ice cream or something and tell her we said great job.

mountaindewdude76

after a few days of pulling my hair out, I finally got the air brakes working properly on my Gemini v2 UAV build. Not only do they open and close, but they open and close evenly, lol. The concept of "evenly" is a rarity in my workshop, lol

mountaindewdude76

Thanks very much! I think its gonna be pretty cool too. As for my daughter....shes the bestest helper and i love her little contributions (and distractions lol)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Better be careful mate. She might just hit you up with that whole.. I did most of the work thing so it's mine!! :eek: Im guessin she has already asked when she can fly it huh.