General question about a sim

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a general question about a simulator. No particular brand in mind. When you pick a trainer plane, are we talking about a 3 channel plane ? If it is a 3 channel plane, is the rudder on the right stick ?

Thanks for any input,
Al

Timmy

Legendary member
Hi Everyone,

I have a general question about a simulator. No particular brand in mind. When you pick a trainer plane, are we talking about a 3 channel plane ? If it is a 3 channel plane, is the rudder on the right stick ?

Thanks for any input,
Al
A trainer doesn't HAVE to be 3ch. And yes generaly when I fly 3ch the rudder is on my right stick.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I never understood why you would ever put rudder on the right stick. Yes its more scale aircraft style but why learn to fly twice? its hard enough as it is to do hehe

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I map my sticks the way they were intended. Right stick = Elevator / Aileron, Left Stick = Throttle / Rudder. That said, I may remap or remix a model to use the aileron input for the rudder output. I have a few 3 channel planes that work the same way. 1) Vapor, 2) Vapor Lite, 3) FT Trainer. It always confuses my buddy when He flys them and the rudder is mapped to both the aileron and rudder channels. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Timmy, when 3 channels, the rudder is on the right stick. A trainer can be either 3 or 4 channels.

A trainer plane is typically more stable, it harder to stall the plane. Trainers typically are high wing, smaller control surfaces , reduced throws and a CG at 25% of the average wing cord. You can take a “trainer plane” and make it less stable by moving the CG aft and increasing the throws. When a plane stalls, one or more of the wings or control surfaces loses lift.

alan0043

I never understood why you would ever put rudder on the right stick. Yes its more scale aircraft style but why learn to fly twice? its hard enough as it is to do hehe

Thanks PsyBorg for making that comment. I am trying to restart by getting back into the hobby. Last year at this time I was learning to fly with the help of Josh (Edgewater is only 35 minutes from my house) . With what is going on with Covid doesn't help the learning process (social distance). I am working on my tiny trainer and getting it re-ready to fly. I will start with the plane being 3 channel but the rudder is going to be on the left stick. Then later on I can add aileron on the right stick. The other part of the plan is to go to the field and try to fly without any help.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Thanks PsyBorg for making that comment. I am trying to restart by getting back into the hobby. Last year at this time I was learning to fly with the help of Josh (Edgewater is only 35 minutes from my house) . With what is going on with Covid doesn't help the learning process (social distance). I am working on my tiny trainer and getting it re-ready to fly. I will start with the plane being 3 channel but the rudder is going to be on the left stick. Then later on I can add aileron on the right stick. The other part of the plan is to go to the field and try to fly without any help.
Tiny trainer is awesome and takes quite a bit of abuse. Mine is a 3 channel, but every once and a while I think about building the Aileron wing for a change of pace.

LB

quorneng

Master member
My own view is if you are going to progress to a more sophisticated/heavier/faster plane with ailerons (and you will!) it is important that you learn to recognise and use 'bank'. It is a fundamental requirement to make a plane turn safely.
So for mode 2 and 3 channel there is advantage in learning to use the right stick to create 'bank' regardless of whether it results from 'rudder' working in conjunction with the plane's dihedral or directly as a result of using the ailerons.
Done like this moving to a 4 channel plane with ailerons becomes less of a challenge. You know the right stick controls bank and if you do nothing else the plane will start to turn.
It works for me.