Get out and fly!! Motivational thread

basslord1124

Master member
Thought this would be a great idea to help us motivate each other to get out and fly those models! If you're too scared/shy, maybe you've got a model you have put too much time into that you're afraid to crash it, maybe you want to but keep putting it off, maybe the weather has been crappy, etc.

Share your models and stories about why it hasn't been flown yet. So then we can say get out there and fly that thing!!

basslord1124

Master member
I'll start...

My big thing now is I have a nice hangar full of various Flitetest and foamboard planes where most are probably at 90% completion or better but they haven't been touched in quite some time.

Here is an example. This is the Galaxy glider, designed by Planiac01 here on the forums. The only things left are finishing the linkages, getting a folding prop, stiffening up the wing (the wing splits in 2), balance/CG, and adjust the throws. That's all she needs to be ready for a maiden. But I've been busy/slacking and it's been sitting there for months. Weather has gotten better so hopefully flight will happen here before too long.

Attachments

• galaxy glider.jpg
    galaxy glider.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 0

basslord1124

Master member
I don't need encouragement: I want to go fly all the time. My schedule and the weather works against me.

Oh trust me I do too and I'm in the same boat...weather, family/other plans, etc work against me. This is more to encourage some new folks who may be a little scared at first OR to help those who have slacked on projects (like myself) to get em finished and get em flying. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Got out today and am STILL trying to dial the rates in.

Its a battle between the rates I want to use and the skill I currently have to use them.

I am getting closer to the more stable avg throttle goal per flight.
Last year I was doing hard turns at 8 to 15 amp current draw which is like barely enough to stay in the air with 45 degree camera tilt.

Today I was up in the 35 to 45 amp range on 55+ degree camera tilt and not washing out too bad trasitioning from straight line to tighter orbits and on to next obsticle.

mayan

Legendary member
I had that with a few models I've built. Recently had it with these too babies.
c117b97d-0ee2-4334-9d58-366d9a6f4000.JPG

But once you crash them once you fix them until they fix no more :).

Vimana89

Legendary member
I haven't really had that sort of dilemma hold me up because my recent prototypes have been pretty quick n dirty, but even so, there's at least a moment of anxiety I think where everyone feels that before maidening a fresh plane.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I don't need encouragement: I want to go fly all the time. My schedule and the weather works against me.
Wind, wind, wind the past few days here. My Champ won't do wind at all other than a very light breeze,and while my slender deltas don't mind a bit of stable, moderate breeze, they don't like gusts and get super bad on the roll axis with cross winds.

Headbang

Master member
Wind, wind, wind the past few days here. My Champ won't do wind at all other than a very light breeze,and while my slender deltas don't mind a bit of stable, moderate breeze, they don't like gusts and get super bad on the roll axis with cross winds.
As a very respected person in this hobby once said. "The plane does not know it is windy!" I remember that every time I am out in 30-40kph gusting crosswind. Wind is not a stopping factor unless it gets above 50kph. Light rain is doable. Heavy rain, hail, lightening, thick fog, heavy blowing snow are my limits. And below -20C! Batteries do not like that kind of cold!

Last edited: