Get Your FLERKEN Plans!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
no sir I guess pulling the vectors out was the wrong way to put it I traced it most of it by hand. there were images in the pdf not vectors like they used to be and they are blurry when you zoom in but you can get a usable vector off them with a little work . I have not built the plane yet I was gonna give it a shot tonight. and I don't know if that is against the rules if im just going to make the just one for myself and my son ?is it ok to do it the way i did if its just for me?

Technically, once the plans go out the figurative door, there is no way to completely stop anyone from reproducing it. I know folks who buy the speed build kits, trace them, digitize, convert to vector, and cut with a laser or CNC. It's even been done with the Master Series kits that have no plans. As long as it is for PERSONAL USE ONLY, I don't think Flite Test has a problem with it. There really isn't anyway to stop people from doing it even if they did. Where it crosses the line is when you start cutting and selling kits for profit. Multiple companies have sprung up over the past couple years selling exact duplicates of Flite Test's designs. That is the reason for all the added security features, and no more free plans.

I do not se anything wrong with what you are doing as long as it's just for you and your son.

BFlatt

I have been waiting for the plans and finally got them I've got foamboard ready and the CO2 laser to cut it but im having issues importing the plans to lightburn I think because there are to many pages I tried to edit down to just the pages I need but the pdf is write protected .

has anyone ever had this issue ?

thanks in advance
Still having problems?

mrjasonclifford

Still having problems?
No sir just finding time to build it . I was able to digitally trace the plans out and it wasn't as easy as it used to be I don't know if I got all of the lines 100% correct but I was able to get them cut out I just haven't found the time to assemble them yet. I mainly fly fpv drones and this will be my first jump into inav I have the electronics put together just waiting on me to build the plane ..

BFlatt

No sir just finding time to build it . I was able to digitally trace the plans out and it wasn't as easy as it used to be I don't know if I got all of the lines 100% correct but I was able to get them cut out I just haven't found the time to assemble them yet. I mainly fly fpv drones and this will be my first jump into inav I have the electronics put together just waiting on me to build the plane ..
I did the same, I was just going to send you what I had done.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I did the same, I was just going to send you what I had done.
That would be a violation of the copyright on the plans. You can not duplicate the plans in any way and then share them with someone else. If you are doing it for your own personal use that's fine, but please do not share a copy of the digitized plans with anyone. If the abuse continues, the next logical step will be no plans at all, and nobody wants that.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
That would be a violation of the copyright on the plans. You can not duplicate the plans in any way and then share them with someone else. If you are doing it for your own personal use that's fine, but please do not share a copy of the digitized plans with anyone. If the abuse continues, the next logical step will be no plans at all, and nobody wants that.
Would I be in violation if I use plans to cut out parts and send them to a friend? I would basically be giving them a worse version of a sbk

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Would I be in violation if I use plans to cut out parts and send them to a friend? I would basically be giving them a worse version of a sbk
Probably not, as long as you are not selling it.

johnbecker31

Probably not, as long as you are not selling it.
so this is turning into a huge can or worms. so if I understand correctly, if I build the plane, maiden it, and someone at the field decides that they want to buy it, this would also be a violation. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me, but I am always reluctant to sell any FT airplanes because of potential violations.

Riclee

Hi all, very new here and I must say that coming back to the Hobby from way back when I had to grab the clothe pin at the flight board in order to clip it to my antenna and go out to the pilot's stand, FLITE TEST has done wonders to this hobby and I see no problem in paying for the kits which cost a fraction of what GWS foaming used to cost. I will glady support Flite Test with my hard earned money so they can keep on doing what they do and above all American made is the way to go, I undersand electronics are a different story and we cannot get away from that but American made kits from FT is the way to go. Thank you all!