Getting a Ham's license

I don't have a clue what percentage of you FPV flyers have gotten your Ham radio license but for those of you that have,,,,,,have you gone to the closest physical testing site nearest you OR have you found an online option? If the latter,,,,what site did you use and do you recommend it?

Thanks

Fyathyrio

Not sure what you mean about online testing, unless asking about practice tests?

I used this book along with the author's companion youtube vids. I liked how he gave a bit more info than just forcing questions down my throat. I also used an Android app called PalmVE to take practice tests whenever i had a few minutes spare time. The combo got me ready for the test in about 2 weeks, and I learned and retained more than if I had taken one of those all day Q&A sessions.

I live in an urban area with a lot of HAMs, so there's a test somewhere nearby just about every week. In my case the test was free, was graded while I waited, and they submitted the info to FCC right away.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I did the test in person at my local amateur radio club - the first level (technician) went very smoothly!

Good luck!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Far as I know there are on line websites for practice information and tests as well as various study guides. The test has to be administered by a live qualified operator. I believe the official charge is 15 dollars but many proctors don't bother. Then they submit your results to the F.C.C. and once they post a number you will be legal so you do not have to wait for the actual paperwork to come.

RCMAN

Unfortunately there is no on line testing, you have to go to the people near you that can give tests. It really sucks and thats why I never got mine yet. The nearest facility is 50 miles away for such a simple silly requirement. So far the cops haven't busted down my door.

arizona98tj

Unfortunately there is no on line testing, you have to go to the people near you that can give tests. It really sucks and thats why I never got mine yet. The nearest facility is 50 miles away for such a simple silly requirement. So far the cops haven't busted down my door.

Since it is so simple, why not go take the test and just be done with it? From then on, you can renew it online for the rest of your life, once every 10 years, unless they change the law. :)

RCMAN

I live on an island in the Northwest and anything like that is an all day proposition. Plus I rarely fpv, but when I do it's 600megawats and no one is around to get me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe 600 mega watts would allow for World Wide FPV!!! How ever did you get one of those. :p I know you meant milli watts mate. Just funnin over 600 megawatts as that would SURELY get people knocking on your door hehe.

Opus633

Is there a HAM club near you? That is where you test for your license.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
For those looking to get your HAM license, here's one of the sites I used for testing:

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

Also, as Psyborg mentioned, some proctors don't charge for the test. SANDARC (The San Diego County Amateur Radio Council) offers free exams almost every weekend of the year, in a BUNCH of locations around the county. If you study the quiz, you can pass it fairly easily and quickly. I'd probably need a refresher on the tests, as they do change out the questions and answers every so often, but if you have a fair grasp on the basics of electronics, you can usually pass this with no problem.