getting back into flying r/c

Bricks

Master member
Been there before I returned to the obsession about 4 years ago and the last time I flew RC I had to wind up the rubber band that powered the actuator that moved the control surface. Transmitter had one button push once for right rudder twice for left, that is all I had for control and no trims.

Damig

Ditto..... I have fun with building, sad when it doesn’t turn out spectacular, and can’t get get gear straight...... but it crashes just fine and I try again! Welcome BEAB39FF-8668-4715-83B9-E96A37D6566A.jpeg 36B709EC-F4A0-430F-96A2-624B0C6225B8.png B8EC69BC-6F72-498F-B44A-5993D1BB5A29.png

newflier

how long did it take you to learn to fly these things .I've built 2 cubs and crashed them now I just built an explorer.And hope I can at least see it in the air lol

Piotrsko

Master member
You need to set it up so it flies by itself, mild climb under power, mild glider tendencies. Then you go to a big open place and dont make many control inputs except to keep it inside the big open place. RESIST the urge to do aerobatics. Rinse repeat until you slow down on crash landings.

If all you do after a flight is recharge the batteries, you're VERY successful.

newflier

I'm kinda scared to try again lol it looks so nice .I had it out the the other day just to try and taxi it a round and it almost took off but turned to the right and popped my rubber bands .so do I need to trim my rudder to the left or what

Bricks

Master member
When first learning to fly do not take the time to make them pretty build them light and just go fly, the lighter the build the easier they are to fly. Use just enough color to help keep orientation. If you can find someone local to help on the first few flights it is a big plus, or a simulator can be wonderful to help learn control inputs and orientation.

newflier

where do I find one of those and are there any free one's that are worth the download.and not to hard to understand {still not to comp savy}

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I learned on the old speedster. I also have flown the explorer, and it’s great, but I think the old speedster wins for the best trainer. It’s definitely easier than the cub. Good luck and welcome!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Welcome! I am back after a long 30 year layoff myself. Some people have managed to learn on their own, but I have to believe that would be very frustrating. There is nothing more valuable to a student pilot than an instructor pilot. I HIGHLY recommend that you find a club or some other fliers to help. Good luck and have fun :cool:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Been there before I returned to the obsession about 4 years ago and the last time I flew RC I had to wind up the rubber band that powered the actuator that moved the control surface. Transmitter had one button push once for right rudder twice for left, that is all I had for control and no trims.

Hehe. The old escapement. My father did his first crashing with one of those single-channel reed systems.

bracesport

Legendary member
welcome - I am another newbie returned to the hobby after a few years off - the speedster looks great (I should have started with something like that) - dig in and have some fun! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
retired a couple of years ago and thought I'd get back into r/c .And now found out about the foam board stuff and having a great time.I am already trying to build planes and see if they will fly.And I am a guy
Welcome! Yes, the planes will fly. They actually fly really, really good. If you're unhappy with your experiences with your current planes, I'd suggest building a Tiny Trainer. It's not pretty, but that's not the point. It's easy to build, the electrics are as cheap as they get and it flies wonderfully. Then, when you've done flying with that glorious polyhedral wing, you can change it out to the four channel sport wing and learn to fly all over again. Only better! Then you're ready for almost any foamboard aircraft you want to build and fly.

You've got to take the baby steps, though. The wonderful thing about the way we do this hobby is that it's foamboard! Build. Fly. Crash. Repeat.

Seriously, build and fly the Tiny Trainer. You won't be sorry that you did. :)

Corbarrad

Seriously, build and fly the Tiny Trainer. You won't be sorry that you did.
I totally agree with that. The TT can take you all the way from free flight to 4 channel within a few weeks.
It's best to start with a plane that you know can fly by itself or at least manage a short glide without lawn darting and that is what the Tiny trainer does.
The glider nose included in the kit will help you figure out hand launching without breaking props by the dozen.

Hand launching has multiple advantages over taking off from the ground:
The state of your runway makes no difference, in fact, the taller the grass is the less damage your plane will take from less than perfect landings.
You start out with airspeed and air going over the control surfaces which will give you effective controls from the beginning. Have the motor running at half throttle or a little more before launching and most of the torque of running the prop up will be eliminated by whoever is throwing it.
Have someone else hand launch you for the first few times. that will lessen your work load and help you concentrate on not crashing.

Edited: Because I couldn't leave one of my posts unedited, that would be breaking character. Also, once I've seen a typo I can't unsee it, even after I've closed the page.

Last edited:

newflier

the way it looks I may have to try the TT.I went out and tried my explorer again hand launched it and it was flying great .I was getting that I knew I could do it and the wing tore in half and bit the turf.So I found another plane which I should have stayed with the explorer.But I figured if I can laugh about crashing it doesn't matter anyway.Plus the advice i'm getting from here is really helping out Thanks very much

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
the way it looks I may have to try the TT.I went out and tried my explorer again hand launched it and it was flying great .I was getting that I knew I could do it and the wing tore in half and bit the turf.So I found another plane which I should have stayed with the explorer.But I figured if I can laugh about crashing it doesn't matter anyway.Plus the advice i'm getting from here is really helping out Thanks very much
That's the spirit! I've ripped off wings and lawn darted and cartwheeled and you name it. I've built so many planes now that I've lost count and really only ever think about the one's I'm currently flying and crashing and repairing and rebuilding. AND the next one I'm building! :) The one exception is my very first scratch-build. It never really flew well, but it's got a place in my heart. It's hanging on the wall in my bedroom. ;)

newflier

I wish mother nature would calm down for awhile and give me a couple of calm days to try again .I can't build anymore the wife said she feels like she's in the movie the birds since I have two hanging from the ceiling and one leaning up against the wall. so untill those aren't flyable I'm just to have to wait