Getting back into the hobby

Tommignon

It’s been years.
I’ve never owned a spread spectrum radio.
I’ve owned some old Kraft radios and Ace radios and a bunch of Futabas AM and FM even Hitec multi model versions.
But my question is are all Spread Spectrum Radios compatible? What radios are compatible with Spektrum?
Are the radios sold on Flite Test all compatible?
I want to buy a good Tx that I’ll be happy with. I want to be able to order kits and power pods etc and just set up the TX.
It needs most mixes. V tail, flapperon, even Crow and the other sailplane mixes. Also helicopter
But of course I want it all as cheap as possible.
Thanks

Reactions: FDS

basslord1124

Master member
The most basic way of looking at it (before you get into technicalities and exceptions) is stick with the brand name. A Spektrum transmitter is compatible with a Spektrum receiver, a Futaba transmitter is compatible with a Futaba receiver, etc. They each use different or have their own protocol that is specific to the brand.

Now there are "compatible" receivers. If you have a Spektrum transmitter, some manufacturers make compatible Spektrum receivers. Lemon is a popular one. A Lemon DSMX receiver is compatible with a Spektrum transmitter and the receiver is a fraction of the cost of an official Spektrum receiver. I use a Spektrum radio and have used Lemon receivers (and other compatible ones) and they work fine.

Also some manufacturers may have a module for a transmitter that can say make a Futaba transmitter talk to a Spektrum receiver.

FDS

Elite member
You don’t need a Spektrum radio to fly. Most 2.4ghz transmitters can easily get the reliable range you need to fly FT designs line of sight.
The Flysky FSi6 x is a great TX for much less than a Spektrum radio and can do up to 10 channels if you need it later, there are lots on eBay. It does all the mixes you mention and simple dual rates/expo. There’s a thread on transmitters here that has lots of great info. Don’t rush buying a TX, find one that’s right for you.
All modern radios will work the same with the Power Packs, as long as you have a PWM Receiver, they are easy to spot in listings as they have servo plug headers on. They just specifically match to different transmitters.
This means you can buy your first speedbuild kit and power pack, with a cheap servo centring tool and build your first FB plane without having to decide on a transmitter.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
It’s been years.
I’ve never owned a spread spectrum radio.
I’ve owned some old Kraft radios and Ace radios and a bunch of Futabas AM and FM even Hitec multi model versions.
But my question is are all Spread Spectrum Radios compatible? What radios are compatible with Spektrum?
Are the radios sold on Flite Test all compatible?
I want to buy a good Tx that I’ll be happy with. I want to be able to order kits and power pods etc and just set up the TX.
It needs most mixes. V tail, flapperon, even Crow and the other sailplane mixes. Also helicopter
But of course I want it all as cheap as possible.
Thanks

Here's where I would honestly start, as we have a great thread that lists out a bunch of different transmitters and tries to provide the pros and cons of each; also, if you read this thread, I would start at the back first - I added a rather long post a few days ago that lists things to consider when shopping for a transmitter, which talks about what types of aircraft you plan to fly, programmability, support, etc. There are a LOT of changes from the Kraft radios of yesteryear, and let me be honest that with the transmitter, don't buy the absolute cheapest thing you can find - there are lots of different features for each transmitter model, there are compatibility issues with some, and there is support - you may have to learn to program your transmitter from a poorly translated manual, or try to take it to a friend and ask for help, only for them to tell you they've never heard of that brand of radio and don't know anything about it.

At any rate, here's the thread:

Which Transmitter You Should Buy...

Tommignon

I picked up some Spektrum TXes and bought a BNF micro Cub. I can fly in my yard and with the AS3X my grand kids can fly. I’ve also built a couple of the FT Planes they fly great. I just finished building a U-Control Baby Ringmaster with same materials. This is a great way to get back in the hobby.

Tommignon

B83E541C-B6E1-4F29-9D76-299FCD63C084.jpeg
View attachment 155070

Attachments

• 446BF2DD-5120-4FE5-B8B8-E7F7448F8036.jpeg
    446BF2DD-5120-4FE5-B8B8-E7F7448F8036.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8730DD88-DC74-4948-826D-F392CFA58BC3.jpeg
    8730DD88-DC74-4948-826D-F392CFA58BC3.jpeg
    1,003.5 KB · Views: 0