Getting Better Flight Times - Multirotor

nilsen

Hey guys,

In another thread I documented how I rebuilt my hex after a failed ESC. At the time of flying and with the kit I received from buildyourowndrone.co.uk it was using 10x45 props on the 880kv motors.
I was flying 5000mAh 4s and was getting around 9-11 minutes of flight time, not sure about the AUW but I guess somewhere around 2 kg with Tarot GoPro gimbal.

When using eCalc with the current motor equivalents (the jDrones ones aren't in the eCalc DB) it was pretty accurate with regards to flight time however I played around a lot and found that 12x38 or 12x45 offered much longer flight time.

Anyway now with the rebuild I get an astounding 20+ minutes on the 5000mAh batteries. Now 1. I haven't reattached the gimbal and 2. I fly mostly in hover as it is an FPV and aerial photography platform.

Putting 12inch props on the 980kv motors is not ideal by any means as they would overheat if I did anymore than hover but I will replace them as soon my new 700kv motors arrive (turnigy multistar).

Anyway, since you are considering a new frame, have you considered a Hex? I was able to gracefully land the thing even after the esc on 1 arm failed, thus my gimbal and camera and the whole hex survived.

Good luck!

ironmacpatrolsquad

Hey guys,

Anyway, since you are considering a new frame, have you considered a Hex? I was able to gracefully land the thing even after the esc on 1 arm failed, thus my gimbal and camera and the whole hex survived.

Good luck!

I have considered a Hex. I love the look of so many props spinning around. Now that I'm getting familiar with eCalc, I'll have to test some hex setups.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Anyone considering a hex should also take a good look at the Y6 configuration as well.

Thurmond

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
And I'll throw in my canned advice since it hasn't been mentioned yet. :rolleyes:

Keep your thrust column clean. You can increase your flight times by a few percent by not having a rat's nest and clutter down the booms. I'm assuming you're using square wood booms. If you have wide solid flat plates, you're handicapping your copter by as much as 5-15% less flight time over a clean round, or clean square boom.

I am building my big boy with RCT 5010-14 360KV and 17X5.5" CF Props. Planning on 3S battery. Motors and ESC's good for 6S though.

Thurmond

Did you ever build this and run it on 3S? I am wanting to do something similiar and build a tri and run 15x5 props on 580kv motors but haven't found very much feedback on people running bigger than 12" props on 3S.

In particular I was thinking of the sunnysky v3508 580kv and with the 15" props and probably run them on afro 30A escs.

Anyone have any thoughts on this setup its really for long flight time FPV is the goal.

Last edited:
Here is the motor data for the motors I want to run. the 3 motors almost make 4kg of thrust which is more than enough. The only thing I keep finding online are people with Hexa running 4S and 13" blades and loving it but I really want to stay with 3S and looking at the sheet this motor should work well.

sunnysky_v3508_20_test_data.png