Getting into EDFs

Tech3811

The jet is a 70 mm, so you think a 64 mm would work with a little modding? Sorry I have no experience with edfs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The jet is a 70 mm, so you think a 64 mm would work with a little modding? Sorry I have no experience with edfs
You might need to make the hole for where the edf mounts just a tad bit smaller, depending on the size of the hole. It’ll say on the spec sheet how big the casing on the edf is. For the build I would recommend using gorilla glue and peeling off the paper on the skin sections to keep weight down.

Timmy

Legendary member
What are some good EDF jets on the forum? I'm considering the Viper and Viggen for now. Any other suggestions?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
What are some good EDF jets on the forum? I'm considering the Viper and Viggen for now. Any other suggestions?
Any of @grifflyer’s jets would be awesome. The viggen is a super easy build despite it’s complex look. It also flies really well. The F-16 is on my build list, and @SquirrelTail is working on one right now so he might be able to give you some pointers on it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
ok so 70 or 50mm? I don't know, do you peeps have pros/cons for each size?
Either will be awesome. 50mm will seem faster due to the smaller plane. A 70mm like the viggen will also be a rocket but as ft showed in their vid has super gentle stalls and can slow down to a crawl.

Captain Jay

Elite member
It’s a 3s rated edf so performance will be pretty good on 3s. @Captain Jay uses them in his jets and they fly really well. The F-16 is a bit bigger I think.
Yes they do. However make sure the esc is high enough. A 40 amp will not do it. I run cheap 100 amp esc from AliExpress or banggood.
The F16 will be flying this weekend. Hope to get video

Captain Jay

Elite member
I want to get into EDFs, what would be a good starting point and with what electronics?
Ok so, I've read most of the comments in here.
So, for building with foam board and to keep size to a minimum, I do use 64mm FMS 3s rated EDF fans. I tried using 4s on them and the motor winds up and down. So, you'd be stuck with using 3s batteries. You can opt for the 4s version of the same fan. It's available. And you'd be stuck using 4 s only, most likely...
Also I have 4 50mm EDF fans. I'm not having much luck having a good jet with them. If someone has good plans for a twin 50mm, I'm all ears....
So that said, o get some wicked sped out of 1 64mm EDF on 3s 2200mah battery. My Mirage was almost to fast for me. We will see how the (Scratch built) F-16 does this weekend...

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_101257.jpg
    IMG_20200830_101257.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200830_101245.jpg
    IMG_20200830_101245.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
ok so 70 or 50mm? I don't know, do you peeps have pros/cons for each size?
Well for starters 70mm is significantly more expensive. But bigger flies better, they handle wind better, and they're easier to build because the parts are bigger and you don't have to keep as close an eye on your weight. My only real defense for the 50mm size is that it's cheaper, generally they handle crashes better because they're smaller. There's gonna be an increased amount of airframes for the 50mm size I have no plan of stopping the design of other airframes in this size. And @SquirrelTail is designing a 50mm design right now so there should be a decent amount of airframes to choose from.

Captain Jay

Elite member
Well for starters 70mm is significantly more expensive. But bigger flies better, they handle wind better, and they're easier to build because the parts are bigger and you don't have to keep as close an eye on your weight. My only real defense for the 50mm size is that it's cheaper, generally they handle crashes better because they're smaller. There's gonna be an increased amount of airframes for the 50mm size I have no plan of stopping the design of other airframes in this size. And @SquirrelTail is designing a 50mm design right now so there should be a decent amount of airframes to choose from.
That sounds like fun....

Tech3811

Any good edf’s that take 50 mm 3s? I want something a little cheaper than the 64 and 70 mm kinds. I would love some plans that fly good!

jfaleo1

Everything here is spot on, I like the 70mm because I like the larger size around this area because of higher winds, but honestly the 50mm designs are pretty good in the winds too. As for designs to start with @Grifflyer has designed the perfect 50mm starter EDF in his L-39 v2. I changed a few items ( wingtips, ducting) but as designed it is a great airplane. Built light and carefully the 3s should work ok.