Getting into Foamies with my son

Kendalf

Last week my son and I tried buddy boxing with our Mini Scout when the winds were way too strong. Result was a dive-bomb onto solid concrete from 30-40 feet up after the wind blew it behind a building. Result was a smashed nose and power pod, but the motor and electronics survived!
220226_f4632c6ca044442b8fbc93f1df8e9478.jpg

So our next build is to assemble the Mini Scout Speed Build kit that we had purchased awhile back. But we're also applying the incomparable "Berg" skin created by Rasterize. Here's the pieces with the skin attached.
Mini Scout Rasterize Berg Skin.jpg

The skin is so unique and eye-catching. Printing on Legal sized paper (8.5" x 14") allowed me to do the wings on one sheet. I've noticed that it is more suited for a scratch-build rather than trying to apply it to the speed build kit like we're doing. Some of the marks for cutouts are reversed (like for the rudder pushrod notch and the rudder itself). Also, due to the fact that the laser cutting melts the foam a bit, the skin actually extends out over the edges of the foam after you peel the brown waterproof paper off. I'll probably trim some of the skin paper to match. But hopefully it will still look decent after it's all assembled.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Aaaahhh! It hurts my eyes!! :p Nice skinning job, man. NO WAY you are losing sight of that bird in the air! :) I agree with mayan. I can't wait to see what it looks like assembled!

Kendalf

We enjoyed flying the Mini F-22 so much (even after we crashed it a number of times) that I immediately started on the full size FT-22. I wanted to try something a bit different in regard to skin. This bears no semblance to reality, but I thought that the big, flat body lends itself as an artistic canvas, so I printed out an abstract background that I liked and used it to skin the main body. Here's how it turned out.
FT-22 Artsy (2).jpg

Hoping to maiden this afternoon or tomorrow, though I'm feeling pretty tired after several long work weeks! Would rather not crash this beauty too quickly due to lapse of judgment while flying tired!
FT-22 Artsy (1).jpg FT-22 Artsy (3).jpg FT-22 Artsy (4).jpg

Wildthing

Legendary member
We enjoyed flying the Mini F-22 so much (even after we crashed it a number of times) that I immediately started on the full size FT-22. I wanted to try something a bit different in regard to skin. This bears no semblance to reality, but I thought that the big, flat body lends itself as an artistic canvas, so I printed out an abstract background that I liked and used it to skin the main body. Here's how it turned out.
View attachment 130994

Hoping to maiden this afternoon or tomorrow, though I'm feeling pretty tired after several long work weeks! Would rather not crash this beauty too quickly due to lapse of judgment while flying tired!
View attachment 130995 View attachment 130996 View attachment 130997

Wicked paint job.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
View attachment 130994

View attachment 130995 View attachment 130996 View attachment 130997
That looks AWESOME!!

Kendalf

Here's the video of the maiden (after a couple false starts). I experienced several instances where the plane wouldn't respond to control inputs. It didn't seem to be a reception issue as I still had throttle control. Discovered several flights later after bailing into both a bush and a tree (thankfully no damage other than a cosmetic scratch) that one of the elevons was delaminating. Quick repair, and hope to get it back in the air this weekend!

It's a nice slow flyer the way I have mine set up, and if it wasn't for those occasions when the plane was heading towards the trees at the edge of the field without responding to my controls, it would have been a very relaxing plane to fly! In that sense, I can see why this plane can be recommended as a trainer. The mini F-22 is much more fun and aerobatic.

This is also my first plane using some 3D printed parts I modified/designed for myself. Here are the Thingiverse links to the lightweight motor mount I made for this model, based on the dimensions of the Simple Elements motor mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3605190

And here are the control horns I modified from SP0NZ original design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3615365

Vimana89

Legendary member
I will almost hate to strip "Skinny Minnie" (V-Sliver prototype) airframe while it still flies, as ugly, warped, and battered as it is, but this will be the first time I retire and airframe rather than just toss it cause I totaled it. Here is the new. V-Sliver airframe, not glued together yet and no electronics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
My bad. That post was intended for the "what did you do RC thread". Oh well. At least you guys can see my basic color scheme. First time I've painted one since the buildruary challenge.