Getting my Bixler 2 to Flap!

FlyKVegas

I'm putting my Bixler 2 together and forgot to order a servo reverser. What's the best course of action, reverse the orientation of the servo on the wing? But a servo reverser? Rewire the servo (let's nip that one in the bud, as I haven't gotten into soldering, yet). Also, best to glue the stip onto the wing or should I just tape it? It I glue it then what do I do if a servo goes bad on me and needs to be replaced? Thanks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can get a servo reverser from Hobbyking. If you can get one locally, it will of course be much faster. Reversing the orientation of the servo will mean a decent bit of surgery on the wing. The servo can be reversed internally, but this involves not only soldering wires but some very small connections so if you do not have soldering experience, probably not the best place to start.

Bruce at Xjet/rcmodelreviews on youtube suggested taping, so servos CAN be replaced with out major surgery.
This is of the AXN but the build is very similar.

I also found this one that shows how to fix the flap servo conundrum.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FlyKVegas,

I'm assuming you need to reverse one of the two aileron servos . . . (never built a Bixler 1 or 2, myself)

What knid of radio do you have? Depending on what you have, there may be options available for letting the radio reverse the servo for you, but it could cost you a channel . . .

RoyBro

Mentor
As for gluing or taping the foam insert over the servos, the manual makes it plain that this is part of the wing structure and needs to be well glued. Otherwise, with a little stress the CF rod might just pop the tape right off.

What kind of radio do you have, and how many channels on the receiver? If you have a programmable 6-channel (or more) transmitter and at least a 6-channel receiver, you can skip the servo reverser and just program two channels to operate opposite of each other and assign them to a 2 or 3 position switch.

FlyKVegas

I should've mentioned in the body of my message (did refer to it jokingly in the subject) that this is for flaps. I may just install the flaps and not hook them up. Wish I hadn't forgotten to order from HK last time, don't want to pay $5 shipping for a $2 part.

FlyKVegas

I do have a 6-channel radio, but was hoping to preserve that last channel for some lights. Local club is having a swap shop this weekend, maybe I can pick up a reasonable priced servo reverser.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
After replying, I noticed "flap", and thought twice . . .

12v Lights can also be run straigth from a 3S balance port -- it migt be nice to control your lights from the ground, but it's suprising how few do.

If you configure your flaps to seperate channels, and your radio is smart enough, those independant flaps can be mixed in to become full length ailerons when up, and switch to flaps as you pull them down . . .

The 4 servo wing I have on my power glider will do full length ailerons, plus flaps, plus variable crow on the throttle stick, all depending on the mix selected, but it burns 7 out of 7 channels on my radio. If I wanted to add a pan (or pan-tilt) FPV rig, I'd either need a new radio or start Y-ing servos.

My point isn't to brag (she is a nice glider), but to say you can use that radio now to get into the air, then change the setup as the needs change.

Josimac

I'm unboxing my Bixler 2 tonight. I'm planning on flipping one of the flap servos and using a Y adapter. I realize that it means one of the wings is going under the knife... but I'm also wanting to preserve a channel too.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
As for gluing or taping the foam insert over the servos, the manual makes it plain that this is part of the wing structure and needs to be well glued. Otherwise, with a little stress the CF rod might just pop the tape right off.

What kind of radio do you have, and how many channels on the receiver? If you have a programmable 6-channel (or more) transmitter and at least a 6-channel receiver, you can skip the servo reverser and just program two channels to operate opposite of each other and assign them to a 2 or 3 position switch.
I didn't realize the spar wasn't glued in on the Bix like it is on the AXN. The mixing for flaps is detailed in the second video I posted above, if you want to go that route.