Getting my Recreational Pilot's Licence

Jackson T

Elite member
Ever since I started flying R/C I've been dreaming of getting my full scale licence. I finally got a job in January this year to start saving up, and started flying training in May. I now only have 2.2 flying hours left before I'm eligible and ready for my flight test to get my Recreational Pilot Certificate. I can't wait! Here's a quick video of probably the most fun and the scariest lesson so far. It was pretty hectic maneuvering around the trees!

In this video we are flying a Jabiru J160. Here's a picture of one.

1597495158890.png

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
Just saw this! Have you passed yet?
I just passed two days ago, sorry I forgot to post. WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I took my driving test and passed that too. I almost wish I failed, just for the sake of a good story. Failing my driving test two days after passing my flight test would have been one of those stories I would share as an 80 yr old :p:D.
Wish I had the opportunity at your age to get into full scale flying. Congratz on the progress and good luck on the test.
Thanks @PsyBorg! Have you gotten into full scale between when you were my age and now :p?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow thats awesome mate. congratz on both accomplishments.. BTW you'll still tell the story when yer 80. :)

Unfortunately like so many other desires for life any real flight related hopes has gone by the way side. At best I might be able to jump on a commercial puddle jumper for a quick hop home at some point.

The only other full scale flight between those time periods were a few flights in a P-3 Orion charlie update at a training squadron back in 1983 as a sensor 3 operator.

Jackson T

Elite member
Wow thats awesome mate. congratz on both accomplishments.. BTW you'll still tell the story when yer 80. :)

Unfortunately like so many other desires for life any real flight related hopes has gone by the way side. At best I might be able to jump on a commercial puddle jumper for a quick hop home at some point.

The only other full scale flight between those time periods were a few flights in a P-3 Orion charlie update at a training squadron back in 1983 as a sensor 3 operator.
Thanks. I guess that's why I want to have an aviation career, so I don't have to try and juggle flying around work, family, etc. It turns out my license cost about $4500 AUD. It is more reachable than most people think, as long as their country has a similar license available. And there's always gliding. It's normally much cheaper than powered flying. I'll be starting my gliding training in a few weeks. Are/were you part of an Orion crew?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was in a training squadron nearly thru training when they decided to change rules/ tactics and half of what I studied and learned became useless. Got set back to "catch up" and was waiting for the next class to come up and join them. Struggled with learning the difference between propeller cavitation and whale farts during cross training while having to deal with a new officer with a language comprehension issue and decided it was not worth it. Lost the ambition to fight for the privilege to be on a crew. Had some interesting times while I was there though. Ended up on Nimitz in the weapons department for the rest of my enlistment.

Timmy

Legendary member
There a municipal airport near by that has a huge sign saying "LEARN TO FLY FROM $125" My dad showed some interest too so maybe someday...

Ranger_107

Elite member
I just passed two days ago, sorry I forgot to post. WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I took my driving test and passed that too. I almost wish I failed, just for the sake of a good story. Failing my driving test two days after passing my flight test would have been one of those stories I would share as an 80 yr old :p:D.

Thanks @PsyBorg! Have you gotten into full scale between when you were my age and now :p?
so your only 16? how much did it cost for you to get flight training?

Jackson T

Elite member
so your only 16? how much did it cost for you to get flight training?
I turned 17 yesterday, two days after passing my flight test. In Australia you can't drive independently until you're 17, amongst other things. The whole thing has set me back roughly $4500 AUD. I've been flying with the cheapest guy around, I borrowed instead of buying theory books, and I completed my training in the legal minimum hours. It cost $200/hr for the lessons, plus exam fees and a membership fee. Are you thinking of getting your license? You should!

Jackson T

Elite member
I was in a training squadron nearly thru training when they decided to change rules/ tactics and half of what I studied and learned became useless. Got set back to "catch up" and was waiting for the next class to come up and join them. Struggled with learning the difference between propeller cavitation and whale farts during cross training while having to deal with a new officer with a language comprehension issue and decided it was not worth it. Lost the ambition to fight for the privilege to be on a crew. Had some interesting times while I was there though. Ended up on Nimitz in the weapons department for the rest of my enlistment.
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Thanks for sharing.

Fliteam

What fun, I haven't had a chance to do that in a few decades. Navigating around those trees is harry. That second attempt was looked a little harry, glad you decided to go around for another attempt. Keep it up and let us know how your doing. I am starting AMT classes next month and once I finish that I am going to renew my license.

Jackson T

Elite member
What fun, I haven't had a chance to do that in a few decades. Navigating around those trees is harry. That second attempt was looked a little harry, glad you decided to go around for another attempt. Keep it up and let us know how your doing. I am starting AMT classes next month and once I finish that I am going to renew my license.
That's great you're working on getting back in the pilot's seat! What planes did you fly in the past? BTW, that second "attempt" was a low pass exercise the instructor got me to do :p.