Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yep. You read it right. It's a Challenge with a Tiny Trainer. Experience doesn't matter. The build doesn't matter. The bird has to start it's life as a TT. After that? Throw rockets on it, if you want. HOWEVER! Ground-level FOV video is obligatory. There is simply no way to judge this Challenge if we can't see the crazy stuff you are doing.

The goal here is to see who can pull off the most crazy, stupid, ridiculous flying stunts with a FliteTest Tiny Trainer, however modified. If you are willing to join, and you feel someone's modification is unfair? Griping is not allowed. Build their modification and do better. I've a pretty good feeling that will the road we are travelling. :)

There's also the fact that my son an I can get pretty crazy with a three channel, and we are about to go four. It's about to get a whole lot more stupid. FDS simply made a comment and opened the door to this Challenge. I threw it out, and he agreed to play.

@CarolineTyler graciously agreed to judge the Challenge. Then I opened it to everyone, because why not? Let's go fly and have some fun!

FDS? So long as Caroline is willing, our Challenge goes on. She is the judge, jury and executioner. Our flights will however go into the pool, that anyone who wishes can vote on. Here's what I've got for a scoring system:

The score is a 1-10 base, decimals allowed.
Points are scored for:
That's Crazy!
That's Cool!
THAT Takes Some Skill!
and finally:
You Actually Pulled Out of That? Successfully?

It's going to pretty be darn random, and based entirely on how many people respond. But who cares? What we've got here is the perfect reason to build something, fly it really stupid and not care if it crashes.

Honestly, if you've built anything, the scratch-built TT just costs a few bucks and you can probably slap one together in your sleep. The Challenge is, what can you make it do?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
And our first entrant! I sort of challenged CapnBry by suggesting he just join us in the madness. Then he did it!

"I'm not sure I was clear on what the challenge is so I just went out and started flying around with my tongue out! Flew into the sun way too many times until finally I couldn't tell if I was coming or going and didn't need the wind to throw my TT into the ground!"

We can't open the voting yet. CapnBry is the baseline. I'm thinking two more flights from others, so we can compare.

My next day off is Tuesday, and weather permitting I'll be recording me getting stupid with a four-channel Tiny Trainer. Maybe my son will, too. :)

@CapnBry, you definitely jumped the gun and set the the bar. I threw it at you and you caught it and threw it right back into my face. Well Done! :D

kilroy07

Legendary member
Griping is not allowed.
+1!

So, it has to start life as a "Stock" TT, or can we do things such as scale it up from the get-go? (Just to be clear... might already have something in mind.....) :unsure:

Dead line? (hopefully at LEAST a month as weather in my neighborhood if iffy at best this time of year!) ;)

Oh, and "I'M IN!" :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
+1!

So, it has to start life as a "Stock" TT, or can we do things such as scale it up from the get-go? (Just to be clear... might already have something in mind.....) :unsure:

Dead line? (hopefully at LEAST a month as weather in my neighborhood if iffy at best this time of year!) ;)

Oh, and "I'M IN!" :LOL:
No limits, no deadline. To me, starting life as a TT is all about the fuselage design. The Bix made it possible to throw just about anything at it or on it. New wings, new tail, different electronics, scale it up or down. So long as that fuse maintains the basic design, it's a TT.

You've got me intrigued! I can't wait to see you've got!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Also if you want a second judge as i can't compete but am very interested i offer my services
We don't need a second judge. We need ALL the judges! Caroline is just judging the Challenge between FDS and myself. All other judging will be done by the forum family. Whoever wants to join in. Caroline (and yourself!) included. Thanks for sharing the Journey with us!

kilroy07

Legendary member
weather in my neighborhood if iffy at best this time of year!
Case in point. :rolleyes:
138B6ED7-CE04-4A92-91BD-61F39F3CC684.jpeg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So how will the "scoring" system work? just average? Thanks i love the enthusiasm!!!
Someone posts a video. I give it a couple days for everyone to vote who wants to. Then I average everyone's score on each scoring point, and then average all the scoring point averages to get one score.

That final aggregate score is what goes on the LeaderBoard. Darn! I said it would be simple! Good thing I own a calculator! :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I recognize that white stuff. I think we got some a few years back. Ofcourse, the few inches we got completely shut down the state of South Carolina, prompted the Governor to declare a State of Emergency, caused widespread, general havoc and was gone in two days.

Jealous? Don't be. I'll be flying this summer when it is literally 100 degrees in the shade. Sunburn and heat and humidity-fried electronics are definitely an option! :p (That's me panting, because I can't sweat fast enough!) :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hmm... I've got a pretty sketchy looking build that started life as a Tiny Trainer and end up as a pusher prop canard flying in the combats at Flite Fest 2017. Did pretty well too, but sadly I don't have any video of those flights. :cry:

I do have a video of the canard format maiden - and that didn't go so well. :LOL:

It flies a lot better now that I got the CG worked out properly.

Guess I'll need to dig it out of the workshop and put it back in the air again for this challenge! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hmm... I've got a pretty sketchy looking build that started life as a Tiny Trainer and end up as a pusher prop canard flying in the combats at Flite Fest 2017. Did pretty well too, but sadly I don't have any video of those flights. :cry:

I do have a video of the canard format maiden - and that didn't go so well. :LOL:

Guess I'll need to dig it out of the workshop and put it back in the air again for this challenge! :D
Holy Cow! It's a TT that flies backwards! Heck yeah dig it out and fly it for the challenge! That's awesome! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Now my being barred as a judge makes sense!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Now my being barred as a judge makes sense!

have fun!
You and Mayan are not barred as judges. Only as judges on the personal challenge between FDS and myself. That one needed someone demonstrably impartial to me and FDS both. I felt like Caroline fit that bill.

Once I can show everyone video of what I'm talking about, and we get a baseline, you can vote on all the flights, just like everyone else. No sir, you are not barred from judging this Challenge, just the opposite. I'm hoping you and mayan both participate in the flights and the judging!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You and Mayan are not barred as judges. Only as judges on the personal challenge between FDS and myself. That one needed someone demonstrably impartial to me and FDS both. I felt like Caroline fit that bill.

Once I can show everyone video of what I'm talking about, and we get a baseline, you can vote on all the flights, just like everyone else. No sir, you are not barred from judging this Challenge, just the opposite. I'm hoping you and mayan both participate in the flights and the judging!
OK! It was just that Rockyboy and I both developed our TT canards on the same thread, somewhat together!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
OK! It was just that Rockyboy and I both developed our TT canards on the same thread, somewhat together!

have fun!
Yeah, and? Fly the darn thing, metal-head! (when you're able) Post the video and you and Rockyboy can tell each other how much the other guy's plane sucks. :p