Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Got to love a video where you are laughing the whole time! :LOL:

Reminded me of the horrible Swordfish maiden, so I would think (since the issue showed up on both wings) was CG.
(Especially how she was awfully loopy)

But, it could have been a locked control surface (I've had crashes wrinkle the foam where the wire left the fuselage.)
A wrinkled nose/thrust line could have played a role as well (but I think the main issue was CG.)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Got to love a video where you are laughing the whole time! :LOL:

Reminded me of the horrible Swordfish maiden, so I would think (since the issue showed up on both wings) was CG.
(Especially how she was awfully loopy)

But, it could have been a locked control surface (I've had crashes wrinkle the foam where the wire left the fuselage.)
A wrinkled nose/thrust line could have played a role as well (but I think the main issue was CG.)
She flew like the CG was off, but we checked and double checked and checked it again. CG was spot on. The only thing that changed from my last video to this one, was the crash at the end of the last outing. It was pretty hard and nose-in.

If the fuse was crunched enough to bind the servo rods (and it is) that would explain her erratic flight behavior. I'll keep that in mind on the rest of my planes. (y)

Kendalf

Meant to add that I had my own crazy time with my Tiny Trainer today. Wind felt like 15mph, gusts to 20+. Had to keep it at full throttle just to make any headway into the wind. My son was doing other things so it was just myself, so no cameraman to capture it. But good practice, and gaining confidence in trying out some moves (hopefully on video) for the challenge! My favorite part was pulling off an unintentional touch and go with the belly on the grass. Actually scooped up some grass into the plane. Not sure how it got back in the air what with the prop hitting the grass.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

Had a bit of an inspiration! Make this a personal challenge if you are able to cut and use FB to build your planes rather than just buying a FT kit.

Alter the tail design and the wing of yout TT to make it into a Ugly TT Stick! Tail and wing design can be taken from this design; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/das-little-stick-parkflyer-plans.14491/

Only real change recommended is to increase the wing span slightly to give a little more lift for the bigger fuselage. If the plans are not still available I can forward them to you or I could even tailor the design and supply plans to you for such a change.

If using 3.7 gram servos you could even set it up for Flaps as well!

Let me know what you think!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Had a bit of an inspiration! Make this a personal challenge if you are able to cut and use FB to build your planes rather than just buying a FT kit.

Alter the tail design and the wing of yout TT to make it into a Ugly TT Stick! Tail and wing design can be taken from this design; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/das-little-stick-parkflyer-plans.14491/

Only real change recommended is to increase the wing span slightly to give a little more lift for the bigger fuselage. If the plans are not still available I can forward them to you or I could even tailor the design and supply plans to you for such a change.

If using 3.7 gram servos you could even set it up for Flaps as well!

Let me know what you think!

have fun!
"Make this a personal challenge if you are able to cut and use FB to build your planes rather than just buying a FT kit."

You hurt me, mate. My Mini Scout was scratch built. She would have flown beautifully. It was my own lack of piloting skills that destroyed her. Not the build.

I'll revisit this thread tomorrow, and check out the links you provided. I've got four planes I have to build ASAP. Three for the challenges, one for my son. I welcome and am very thankful for the SpeedBuild kits I've got.

There will be no finesse. No experimentation, no making stuff pretty or deviating from the plans or build video. Four planes and I need them now. Plus, I've only a couple hours on my days off to pull this off? I am thankful I was able to get the SpeedBuild Kits. Nah. Shove it up your helmet, Helmet Head! :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
"Make this a personal challenge if you are able to cut and use FB to build your planes rather than just buying a FT kit."

You hurt me, mate. My Mini Scout was scratch built. She would have flown beautifully. It was my own lack of piloting skills that destroyed her. Not the build.

I'll revisit this thread tomorrow, and check out the links you provided. I've got four planes I have to build ASAP. Three for the challenges, one for my son. I welcome and am very thankful for the SpeedBuild kits I've got.

There will be no finesse. No experimentation, no making stuff pretty or deviating from the plans or build video. Four planes and I need them now. Plus, I've only a couple hours on my days off to pull this off? I am thankful I was able to get the SpeedBuild Kits. Nah. Shove it up your helmet, Helmet Head! :)
If I offended I appologize but there are many people I follow the progress of and remembering who buys and who scratch builds slips my mind from time to time!

That you scratch is fantastic! I applaud the extra effort required and you will find the "Challenge" I have put to you to be actually not much of a challenge beyond the actual build as it will fly like an absolute dream. I found my version/s to be the best handling planes I had experienced up to that time and I had built and destroyed quite a number of TTs.

have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
There will be no finesse. No experimentation, no making stuff pretty or deviating from the plans or build video. Four planes and I need them now. Plus, I've only a couple hours on my days off to pull this off?
:unsure: Pretty sure that’s your own fault.... running through the forums challenging everyone to build offs (‘cept for me!) :cry:

That’s okay, I’m gonna build another Dr.1 anyway! :p

Spacefarer

Oh no, I forgot to make that post I said I would make... well, here's the (almost finished) product. It has a TWR of around 1.1
IMG_E0865.JPG

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I had contemplated submitting an entry but for a number of reasons my entry would not qualify, especially the video requirement. I have a list of stupid/Crazy, things to do with a TT, (design), So I will raise my own thread as a sideline interest for those who still build and fly TTs. If accepted as a non-compliant entry so be it.

Build will take a while but the resultant should be a TT based Ugly stick with flaps, ailerons, tricycle undercarriage and a much larger motor than standard. Battery capacity to be increased to suit 2200mA 3S though it is envisaged that the maiden will use a 1300 3S.

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
. It has a TWR of around 1.1
Just curious, what props are you hanging off those motors?
From the pic they seem a tad oversized maybe.... do you have an amp meter on hand to check the draw?
(I only ask because i’ve Burned a few motors up hanging crazy props off them before I got an amp meter... I also have had a hard lesson in “C” ratings on batteries and why it’s important.) ;)

Spacefarer

I have been using those props on those motors for a year now, they work just fine. The amp rate heats up the ESC a little but it doesn't even get over 90 degrees fahrenheit.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I posted this last night. Apparently it didn't take. Here's another try.

I had contemplated submitting an entry but for a number of reasons my entry would not qualify, especially the video requirement. I have a list of stupid/Crazy, things to do with a TT, (design), So I will raise my own thread as a sideline interest for those who still build and fly TTs. If accepted as a non-compliant entry so be it.

Build will take a while but the resultant should be a TT based Ugly stick with flaps, ailerons, tricycle undercarriage and a much larger motor than standard. Battery capacity to be increased to suit 2200mA 3S though it is envisaged that the maiden will use a 1300 3S.

Have fun!
Heck, yeah, I'll open the challenge to "Non Official Entries!" I just want everyone to fly and have fun! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I posted this last night. Apparently it didn't take. Here's another try.

Heck, yeah, I'll open the challenge to "Non Official Entries!" I just want everyone to fly and have fun! :D
Only the wing design to finalize now. Build should start shortly, (a day or two).

If you like trainers this one will definitely be an advanced trainer. Initially I may maiden it on a CF2812 1534Kv though it will definitely be capable of running a "B" or "C" Power pack! Actually it will still be able to run on the original powerpods as well but the "A" pack may be a little weak, powerwise!

If done properly it should be almost able to hover with flaps extended and then tear up the skies at full throttle with flaps retracted. Definitely not a twitchy little bird but a stable and responsive plane. Sadly there will be no SIM equivalent. Just need to decide on a colour scheme. Too many red already so this one may end up orange.

Pic when finished!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Only the wing design to finalize now. Build should start shortly, (a day or two).

If you like trainers this one will definitely be an advanced trainer. Initially I may maiden it on a CF2812 1534Kv though it will definitely be capable of running a "B" or "C" Power pack! Actually it will still be able to run on the original powerpods as well but the "A" pack may be a little weak, powerwise!

If done properly it should be almost able to hover with flaps extended and then tear up the skies at full throttle with flaps retracted. Definitely not a twitchy little bird but a stable and responsive plane. Sadly there will be no SIM equivalent. Just need to decide on a colour scheme. Too many red already so this one may end up orange.

Pic when finished!

Have fun!
My gosh. Ya'll never cease to amaze me. Hai-Lee you're building a plane. We'll call it a Tiny Trainer, with the standard TT fuse. It'll hover. When the wind is right, I can hover the TT with the A-Pack (albeit briefly, and it just sort of happened). With Flaps? And it works with an A, B or C pack? What!!?? Plus we get to tear up the skies? That's glorious! Suggestion? Promise it to one your noobies on the field if they are willing to get you video of your flight. From what I've read of your past builds, you'd probably do that any way. Please? I want to see that! :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My gosh. Ya'll never cease to amaze me. Hai-Lee you're building a plane. We'll call it a Tiny Trainer, with the standard TT fuse. It'll hover. When the wind is right, I can hover the TT with the A-Pack (albeit briefly, and it just sort of happened). With Flaps? And it works with an A, B or C pack? What!!?? Plus we get to tear up the skies? That's glorious! Suggestion? Promise it to one your noobies on the field if they are willing to get you video of your flight. From what I've read of your past builds, you'd probably do that any way. Please? I want to see that! :)
Getting the video is one thing but I do not do U tube, (AKA Troll Farm), or any other social media so if someone can take the raw file and do the post it is OK. I will see if I can get a short video when the time is right!

have fun!

CapnBry

Elite member
Haha oh @buzzbomb, that March 9th video had me cracking up-- I've never seen something go south so fast so many times. This thread has true FliteTest spirit of fun with friends/family!

I was out flying my TT again this morning, trying to come up with some better moves to enter into this contest and smashed the ground hard trying to knife edge the Tiny Trainer. I think I was up to about 0.8 seconds of knife edge before I wrecked it. Gonna need more tape and glue before the next attempt. My parents are going to visit next weekend and I hope to get my Dad out flying a TT (he's got about 80% of the flight time I have, but with all RTF/BNF planes).

mayan

Legendary member
running through the forums challenging everyone to build offs (‘cept for me!)
@kilroy07 I have a build challenge for you. Build the SpiTTT version of the TT. I promise you that you will not forget the flying experience in a long time.

@buzzbomb question for you.... How many submits can one have? Cause I have some crazy plans for this challenge and if I have only one go I'll have to make a hard call. If I have a few than you will get some crazy attempts on my behalf.

Here is just a teaser of what's on the workbench.
Untitled-1.gif

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb question for you.... How many submits can one have?
I don't know why this just showed for me today. I can't see the image, either. It's just a black box.

To answer your question, as many as you want! :) Keep in mind though that the running score is an aggregate. Post something amazing, and then something not and it will affect your score on the LeaderBoard. I'll alter the scoring system for anyone who wants to try multiple builds or ideas.

For instance "mayan - SpitTT" can have it's own score and "mayan - SeaDuckTT (or whatever you come up with:D)" can have it's own aggregate score. I think I'll limit that kind of split to just major build changes, though. Change the motor size or prop size or whatnot and it will stay the same aggregate score for that build.