Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge.

kilroy07

Legendary member
One more time!!

My second entry into the crazy builds based off the Tiny Trainer...

The $11 Tiny Trainer!

Take the wings off a cheap foam glider that by it's self is an okay glider, but takes some work to turn into an RC plane...
IMG_8500.JPG

Add a proven design for the control and power
IMG_8499.JPG

And Honestly people, something magical happens...
IMG_8502.JPG

I'm going to cross post this and give it it's own thread because it's just too good not to share!!
(forgive me moderator for I have sinned....)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...you-use-the-40-coupon-from-hobby-lobby.57929/

And of course... Video or it didn't happen!

Enjoy!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Seemed that you like me were pulling the elevator the wrong way causing the plane to dive into the ground. I pulled out of it once but on the second crash miserably :).
Yep. "When inverted up is down and down is expensive." I forgot that. :LOL:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am so sorry, ya'll. I owe some many of you actual replies to the wonderful content you've posted. I'm still uploading video from the other day and trying to complete the Challenge posts, and it is killing both my bandwidth and time.

My Challenge with FDS and judged by Caroline is still on, but you know what? Ya'll are having such a darn good time in this thread, I think I should drop the scoring system for everyone else. Who cares? Go out, get stupid with the TT and throw it up here, and we'll love it or hate it!

I've been saying all along that the point is to have fun with it, and ya'll are doing just that. Let's see what you've got! :D

Kendalf

There are these soccer goals in the park that I mainly fly in, so of course my son and I thought that we should try to fly through the goals. But that's not quite stupid enough for this challenge, so I decided to see if I could score multiple "goals" by doing loops around the crossbar. Here's the video of the attempts, with a few warm-up approaches in the beginning.

Some commentary: It didn't help that there was extra wind, and that the wind was blowing with the plane on the approach to the goal, making for a faster and less controlled approach than I would have liked. It also required a lot more throttle to loop back around into the wind. But of course that adds to the "stupid" factor! :D I also had to contend with a couple of my nieces arguing in the background :rolleyes: (sorry, @mayan!). Still, I'm happy to have finally had some sunny weather coinciding with time to fly.

mayan

Legendary member
There are these soccer goals in the park that I mainly fly in, so of course my son and I thought that we should try to fly through the goals. But that's not quite stupid enough for this challenge, so I decided to see if I could score multiple "goals" by doing loops around the crossbar. Here's the video of the attempts, with a few warm-up approaches in the beginning.

Some commentary: It didn't help that there was extra wind, and that the wind was blowing with the plane on the approach to the goal, making for a faster and less controlled approach than I would have liked. It also required a lot more throttle to loop back around into the wind. But of course that adds to the "stupid" factor! :D I also had to contend with a couple of my nieces arguing in the background :rolleyes: (sorry, @mayan!). Still, I'm happy to have finally had some sunny weather coinciding with time to fly.
I rate this as "You rock!". I was stuck to the screen watching your video and the cameraman my god what a born pro, can I borrow him?
PS - your comment about the arguing made me laugh, didnt know they were family :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My time will now be devoted to learning my new trans. Once I do that, I'm building the DR-1. I've got to order one more receiver, but not quite yet. I've already orderd the XT30 to XT60 adapters. They will be here soon.

When all that is complete? We'll have six 3s batteries, and three birds we can fly! The TT (soon to be 4ch) the MiniScout (soon to be 4ch, and that's going to be a Hoot!) And the Dr-1. I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to fly that one 3ch or 4ch first. It will depend on what happens in the meantime. No matter what, It's going to be exciting!

I've updated my other threads. I'll hopefully update this one later on tonight. (It's currently nearly 0300. Later on tonight means almost twenty-four hours from now!) Then I'll be caught up with all the postings, to all the threads I so stupidly threw out all at once. THERE is a lesson learned! :p

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

You need to be careful of goal posts! One of them cost me about an hour in searching for a lost battery!

I was coming in for a landing and had a LOS. The plane veered towards the edge of the field and hit a goal post at a fair clip! It stopped almost immediately and fell backwards , (tail first), into the ground. Of course I did the usual Parts inventory and discovered that the battery was missing. A search ensued!

As the plane was travelling quite fast and there is a drainage ditch about 20 metres behind the goal posts, when the battery could not be located a search of the drainage ditch ensued. The ditch was full of mud and reeds and after an hour the battery was declared lost and the search ended.

About half an hour after the search ended someone who was flying whilst standing near the goal posts cried out that there was a battery lead dangling from the goal post cross bar! Sure enough the battery was sitting safe and secure on top of the cross bar! No damage but the battery was smaller than the crossbar was wide!

Never trust goal posts!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh. Shoot. I have so many threads out that I can't keep up with them, I'm not even close to being able to keep up with the threads of my friends, whom I care about greatly.

I've got so many pages to read, and so many posts to reply to on this thread, that I can't do it tonight. It's frackin' 4:15 in the morning! I'll have to update this later today. There is one thing I can do, though. I can be really stupid and start another Challenge!

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/fly-it-inverted-the-challenge.57949/

Yep. :p

mayan

Legendary member
Oh. Shoot. I have so many threads out that I can't keep up with them, I'm not even close to being able to keep up with the threads of my friends, whom I care about greatly.

I've got so many pages to read, and so many posts to reply to on this thread, that I can't do it tonight. It's frackin' 4:15 in the morning! I'll have to update this later today. There is one thing I can do, though. I can be really stupid and start another Challenge!

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/fly-it-inverted-the-challenge.57949/

Yep. :p
You better start reading, and flying before starting new threads. Love you man.

Check out my new candidate for getting crazy with the TT challenge on my hobby newbie learning diary thread. Posting a pic of her now.

CapnBry

Elite member
I wanted to try something different so I built a set of "Ridge Runner" wings (or is it a wing?) and slapped them on my Tiny Trainer. I definitely need more rudder because a quarter of the time I was at full rudder and just not getting anywhere. Here it is sitting on the polyhedral wing.
DSC06292.JPG

I thought a little 2S 800mAh would be plenty with a 6x4 prop to get me way up where I can learn how to thermal but I just couldn't compete with the wind. It is blowing 5-10kph but gusting to 25-30kph and pretty turbulent. Why is this in this thread? Because something cool and/or stupid happened!

Just trying to get it going back in the right direction, a gust pops it up and stalls it and turns it right back downwind. FULL RUDDER and now I'm inverted, heading away, over the gator-infested pond, headed toward houses. You can hear me say "please fix yourself" on the video but after what seemed like 10 seconds I just gave it full up elevator and looped it at the ground.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I wanted to try something different so I built a set of "Ridge Runner" wings (or is it a wing?) and slapped them on my Tiny Trainer. I definitely need more rudder because a quarter of the time I was at full rudder and just not getting anywhere. Here it is sitting on the polyhedral wing.
View attachment 128091

I thought a little 2S 800mAh would be plenty with a 6x4 prop to get me way up where I can learn how to thermal but I just couldn't compete with the wind. It is blowing 5-10kph but gusting to 25-30kph and pretty turbulent. Why is this in this thread? Because something cool and/or stupid happened!

Just trying to get it going back in the right direction, a gust pops it up and stalls it and turns it right back downwind. FULL RUDDER and now I'm inverted, heading away, over the gator-infested pond, headed toward houses. You can hear me say "please fix yourself" on the video but after what seemed like 10 seconds I just gave it full up elevator and looped it at the ground.
Nice Mash-Up! A thermal soaring, TT! Excellent! (Wait until you see what mayan's cooking up...)

Ok. You slapped a big 'ol wing onto the little TT and flew it underpowered in some good wind, over a gator-infested pond just across the way from some really expensive looking houses. Yep. That's Getting Stupid with it! This is definitely the right thread to post that build and the great video (in the vid, it looked like were soaring!).

I learned long ago that this Challenge has morphed itself into something more along the lines of "What Can YOU Do to and with a Tiny Trainer?!" It's become so much more than I envisioned, and personally I think that is wonderful. Thank you Capn'!

Jimun

Elite member
Okay, this challenge can include crazy builds as well, right?... (I sure hope so, 'cause I have one more to share!)

May I introduce my FIRST entry (the inverted stuff was just a distraction!)
The Tiny Bipe!

I would have a picture... but after the maiden I let my daughter try to fly it... AAnndd... it died... (or rather she killed it...) :cry:

It flew a whole lot better than I thought!
And will be rebuilt!

But wait there's more!
Attached you'll find a PDF to make the struts. All you need is a second TT wing!
That is cool

Jimun

Elite member
One more time!!

My second entry into the crazy builds based off the Tiny Trainer...

The $11 Tiny Trainer!

Take the wings off a cheap foam glider that by it's self is an okay glider, but takes some work to turn into an RC plane...
View attachment 127296

Add a proven design for the control and power
View attachment 127297

And Honestly people, something magical happens...
View attachment 127298

I'm going to cross post this and give it it's own thread because it's just too good not to share!!
(forgive me moderator for I have sinned....)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...you-use-the-40-coupon-from-hobby-lobby.57929/

And of course... Video or it didn't happen!

Enjoy!
That is awesome. I really like what you are doing. Taking it to the limit.

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member

Good Job. It look pretty good until you made me laugh. Glad your having fun.

Jimun

Elite member
My time will now be devoted to learning my new trans. Once I do that, I'm building the DR-1. I've got to order one more receiver, but not quite yet. I've already orderd the XT30 to XT60 adapters. They will be here soon.

When all that is complete? We'll have six 3s batteries, and three birds we can fly! The TT (soon to be 4ch) the MiniScout (soon to be 4ch, and that's going to be a Hoot!) And the Dr-1. I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to fly that one 3ch or 4ch first. It will depend on what happens in the meantime. No matter what, It's going to be exciting!

I've updated my other threads. I'll hopefully update this one later on tonight. (It's currently nearly 0300. Later on tonight means almost twenty-four hours from now!) Then I'll be caught up with all the postings, to all the threads I so stupidly threw out all at once. THERE is a lesson learned! :p
Can't wait to see them all fly and ???:D

Jimun

Elite member
You need to be careful of goal posts! One of them cost me about an hour in searching for a lost battery!

I was coming in for a landing and had a LOS. The plane veered towards the edge of the field and hit a goal post at a fair clip! It stopped almost immediately and fell backwards , (tail first), into the ground. Of course I did the usual Parts inventory and discovered that the battery was missing. A search ensued!

As the plane was travelling quite fast and there is a drainage ditch about 20 metres behind the goal posts, when the battery could not be located a search of the drainage ditch ensued. The ditch was full of mud and reeds and after an hour the battery was declared lost and the search ended.

About half an hour after the search ended someone who was flying whilst standing near the goal posts cried out that there was a battery lead dangling from the goal post cross bar! Sure enough the battery was sitting safe and secure on top of the cross bar! No damage but the battery was smaller than the crossbar was wide!

Never trust goal posts!

have fun!
Hiding in plan sight. That made me laugh:LOL:

Jimun

Elite member
View attachment 128091

2 Challenges at once - awesome. Good Job. Going crazy stupid and then inverted.

CapnBry

Elite member
I learned long ago that this Challenge has morphed itself into something more along the lines of "What Can YOU Do to and with a Tiny Trainer?!" It's become so much more than I envisioned, and personally I think that is wonderful.
Yeah I think you really invoked the FliteTest Spirit with your challenge. Not just everybody build the same thing and show off your piloting, but more of everyone start with the same base now what can we do?! Looking forward to seeing what other cool stuff comes from this challenge, and it is all entertaining. Aren't these things supposed to right themselves though? I kinda just let the sticks go back to center hoping it would un-invert but it was holding stable.

It was my first time trying to "soar" other than cutting the throttle for 10 seconds on a stock TT or FT Explorer. It does pretty OK although I am miserable at it, 6 mins of using the throttle got me 13 minutes of flight time on that 2S 800mAh with a 6x4.5 prop. The AUW is 380g so I probably will swap out the A Pack motor (261g of thrust) for an F Pack motor with a 5x3.5 (310g of thrust) or 6x3 (382g) when I go out next time.