Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Aren't these things supposed to right themselves though?

That was what I thought back with my first TT. I looped it inverted and waited for it to self right. Well simply put it didn't! I waited and waited until I suddenly realised that I was inverted and close to the ground, (too close to do a downwards loop and not enough power to loop out over the top). I cringed and let is land upside down which it did with no damageo_O.

I thought something must be wrong so I checked and rechecked it and then relaunched it. Once more I climbed to height and looped into inverted flight. I once again waited and waited for it to self right but again it didn't. If anything it would self right to the inverted position. Again I was puzzling over the issue when again the ground approached. A second inverted landing ensued without damage.

I have NEVER repeated the experience as I still do not understand what was happening unless it had something to do with the wing incidence angles.

Have fun!

CapnBry

Elite member
That was what I thought back with my first TT. I looped it inverted and waited for it to self right. Well simply put it didn't! I waited and waited until I suddenly realised that I was inverted and close to the ground, (too close to do a downwards loop and not enough power to loop out over the top). I cringed and let is land upside down which it did with no damageo_O.
That's pretty crazy. I did fly my TT with the poly wing inverted and could not keep it up and it just sort of slowly circled down. I bet everyone was impressed with the upside down landing trick.

I made a 2205 motor mount and swapped the power pod for that and an 18A ESC, a 5x3.5 prop, and a 1000mAh 3S battery which raised the weight up to 425g (although I also minwaxed the wing so that added a few grams too). I also dropped 2 positions on the rudder servo horn (out to hole 4 from the servo hub) to get more rudder throw. This Ridge Racer TT flies like a dream and is pretty quick too. I got 19 minutes of flight on 5 throttle percent (TH%) minutes. It needs a lot of down elevator to keep it from wanting to go straight vertical at full throttle, and a decent amount of up elevator to keep it from putting its nose down and hauling butt when not powered. I'll mix some throttle into the elevator to help with that but I ran out of battery too quickly :( Don't ya hate when you only bring one mostly-charged pack to the park and you still want to keep flying?

Quick Edit from FutureBry: I tried with the F pack motor, 6x4 prop and 800mAh 2S which brought the weight down to 400g and there was enough power to climb when the battery was full, but I really struggled to gain altitude without stalling as the battery wore down.

I know all of this is sort of off-topic but I highly recommend it if folks are playing with the TT mods and upgrades in this thread. It is only 2 sheets of foam and it goes quick because you only have to build a wing with no servos or anything to get setup.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
@buzzbomb I didn't quite understand the challange untill I went out with the SpiTTT today. For some reason it wasn't flying good like it used to and made it hard to controll the plane like I was used to so went crazy with it. Hope this is what you meant by crazy :). Having failed to beat @Arcfyre's offical high score on the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge I sure hope to score some points on this challenge :). Enjoy me getting stupid with the SpiTTT a Tiny Trainer warbird modification.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb I didn't quite understand the challange untill I went out with the SpiTTT today. For some reason it wasn't flying good like it used to and made it hard to controll the plane like I was used to so went crazy with it. Hope this is what you meant by crazy :). Having failed to beat @Arcfyre's offical high score on the FT Mini Scout Newbie Challenge I sure hope to score some points on this challenge :). Enjoy me getting stupid with the SpiTTT a Tiny Trainer warbird modification.

Oh, YES, YES, YES, YES! You nailed it! Playing chicken with the ground, throwing the plane around in tight maneuvers, landing inverted in a bush! (My son says if plane meets land, it's a landing ;).) You totally nailed it. You floated against the wind, you stalled and then dived it, you flew like no sane human being would. THAT's getting stupid with it!

You also flew it like you were just having fun. That was the initial reason for the Challenge. Just get out there and throw it around, come out of it, do it again. You did that. I hope you had as much fun doing it as I had watching it.

That was a joy to watch, mayan. I dropped the scoring system because this Challenge has changed so much, but if we still had one, you'd get 8's all around. No way I could not fly that slow and do what you did. That was glorious Piloting. Thank you for letting us experience that.

Last edited:

Jimun

Elite member

First video reminded me of my 1 minute flight a few weeks ago. At least your flights were longer and you were able to fly again. Good job

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
When viewing or participating, a Try to remember,
Who's line is it anyway..........

The rules are made up and the points don't matter.
Yep. What matters is how much fun YOU have while doing it! Then share it with the rest of us, so we can have fun, too! :D We've moved so far from points being needed.

We've actually got a member who made a biplane out of a Tiny Trainer! What??!! That's crazy! Yes. Yes it is. We've got a Family member who put a soaring wing onto the TT fuse. That's nuts! Yes. Yes it is.

There are so many things you can do with this platform. The point of the Challenge was originally to fly the TT as dangerously as possible. This Forum Family totally morphed that challenge into something like anything goes. They've taken it and run with it, and that is a wonderful thing.

The TT fuse that the Bix designed is wonderful. A-Pack? F-Pack? B-Pack, really? (Yea, it'll do it) Throw on whatever wings you want, whatever tail design and then just go out and fly it or crash and burn.

Or do like I did. Three Channel Tiny Trainer, stock with the A-Pack. My gosh, but if you are willing to let go, she can do some crazy stuff!

BorisTheSpider

Not an entry into the contest, just a sideshow. My maiden of the Tiny Trainer.

My wife actually did really well with keeping the camera pretty steady. She only barely managed to grab the excuse declaration at the end, about my bad depth perception.

I see that my biggest problem was that fence that attacked my beautiful airframe altitude. There is a state route behind me and, although the wind was quite docile, I was worried about a strong gust and/or user error floating it toward that highway. I hit the fence once more, and on a third flight, I stayed away from the fence, but grazed a tree which hatefully spiked it into the only puddle at the park. I could actually hear laughter coming from the pine needles as I bounded over to beg the kindness of the Lady of the Lake. After I drew it, as Excalibur, from its moist resting spot, I pulled the battery and everything is still drying. I may have tried again after blowing out the motor and checking the ESC, but that last impact damaged the now-soggy power pod. Slight repairs coming up, and maybe going to try to find a flying field where I'm less concerned about obstacles. Thankfully, Edgewater promises to be open again soon, and I intend to be there flying every chance I get.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member

My wife actually did really well with keeping the camera pretty steady. She only barely managed to grab the excuse declaration at the end, about my poor depth perception.

I see that my biggest problem was that fence that attacked my beautiful airframe altitude. There is a state route behind me and, although the wind was quite docile, I was worried about a strong gust and/or user error floating it toward that highway. I hit the fence once more, and on a third flight, I stayed away from the fence, but grazed a tree which hatefully spiked it into the only puddle at the park. I could actually hear laughter coming from the pine needles as I bounded over to beg the kindness of the Lady of the Lake. After I drew it, as Excalibur, from it moist resting spot, I pulled the battery and everything is still drying. I may have tried again after blowing out the motor and checking the ESC, but that last impact damaged the now-soggy power pod. Slight repairs coming up, and maybe going to try to find a flying field where I'm less concerned about obstacles. Thankfully, Edgewater promises to be open again soon, and I intend to be there flying every chance I get.
Thank you for sharing I think your flight was smooth. Looking forward for more videos from you end. BTW I loved the amazement in your child’s voice when you had the plane flying.

BorisTheSpider

Thank you for sharing I think your flight was smooth. Looking forward for more videos from you end. BTW I loved the amazement in your child’s voice when you had the plane flying.

Full disclosure - it was the frisbee she was playing with. She was super proud to have thrown it really well. She's always had a good arm. In fact, she's really physical. Can't stop her from literally climbing the walls and dancing everywhere. She also loves to draw and paint. In fact, I hope to finish the rainbow-painted sparrow she and I built soon. I'm probably not going to power it yet, but it'll be a cool chuck glider for now.

BorisTheSpider

Awesome flight @BorisTheSpider, well done! (y)(y)

Thanks guys. It felt a lot better than most of my previous attempts. I don't know if it's a better build or just a more suitable airframe for my skills, but I felt a lot more control than I did in the past. I can't help but want to keep building more and more, but at the same time I just want to really keep practicing on this guy because it flies so well. I couldn't have had a lick of success without this community and, lately especially, the encouragement of @mayan. Your support means a lot to me.

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks guys. It felt a lot better than most of my previous attempts. I don't know if it's a better build or just a more suitable airframe for my skills, but I felt a lot more control than I did in the past. I can't help but want to keep building more and more, but at the same time I just want to really keep practicing on this guy because it flies so well. I couldn't have had a lick of success without this community and, lately especially, the encouragement of @mayan. Your support means a lot to me.
Buddy with a lot of love! I am here to push, encourge and kick anybodys ass any time :). Also I said it before and will say it again that was some very nice flying, and the more you practice the better. One tip here for all of you flying the TT, if you fly it with the A pack motor and a 2S battery you will get the slowest most relaxing flight expreince ever, and so that is the setup that I recommend to @BorisTheSpider.

@BorisTheSpider what is your expreince from flying with a 2S?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

My wife actually did really well with keeping the camera pretty steady. She only barely managed to grab the excuse declaration at the end, about my bad depth perception.

I see that my biggest problem was that fence that attacked my beautiful airframe altitude. There is a state route behind me and, although the wind was quite docile, I was worried about a strong gust and/or user error floating it toward that highway. I hit the fence once more, and on a third flight, I stayed away from the fence, but grazed a tree which hatefully spiked it into the only puddle at the park. I could actually hear laughter coming from the pine needles as I bounded over to beg the kindness of the Lady of the Lake. After I drew it, as Excalibur, from its moist resting spot, I pulled the battery and everything is still drying. I may have tried again after blowing out the motor and checking the ESC, but that last impact damaged the now-soggy power pod. Slight repairs coming up, and maybe going to try to find a flying field where I'm less concerned about obstacles. Thankfully, Edgewater promises to be open again soon, and I intend to be there flying every chance I get.
I missed this when you posted it. Nice maiden all the way until the end. I actually winced and said "Ooh!" You've definitely got the right platform to learn with. Considering the location you were at, you did really good. Much better than I would have in that same location. Ha! MUCH better! :p

I'm glad you were able to take the family with you. As much as I love to fly, I have learned that it is even more enjoyable when you have someone with you to enjoy it with.

You are blessed to be so close to Edgewater. They're going to appreciate having ya'll out there flying a TT just as much as you appreciate being there and doing it. Keep it up, man. Just keep doing what you're doing. :)

BorisTheSpider

Buddy with a lot of love! I am here to push, encourge and kick anybodys ass any time :). Also I said it before and will say it again that was some very nice flying, and the more you practice the better. One tip here for all of you flying the TT, if you fly it with the A pack motor and a 2S battery you will get the slowest most relaxing flight expreince ever, and so that is the setup that I recommend to @BorisTheSpider.

@BorisTheSpider what is your expreince from flying with a 2S?

I did stick to 2S, but the single 1806 motor I had proved to be defective, so I moved up to some old thing in the neighborhood of the F-pack. As you can see, it flies really slow and smooth. At first I was a little harder on the throttle than I needed, and I should probably work on the CG a little, but it's a graceful bird and consumed hardly any battery. I figure once I get a hint of altitude, say 2 or 3 mistakes high, I'll have an even better time. I've got plenty of other planes for 3S - this one will likely remain 2S as long as it exists.

BorisTheSpider

You are blessed to be so close to Edgewater.

Brother, blessed is exactly right. It was a strange turn of events in my life - so many decisions and coincidences - that brought my family here and now. We've all got things we can allow to make us miserable but it's actually hard to overlook all the amazing things in my life. I have a lot of self-doubt and confidence issues that I wrestle with but then, when I take a look at the blessings all around me, I'm reminded that we have a loving Father who more than makes up for my shortcomings.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Brother, blessed is exactly right. It was a strange turn of events in my life - so many decisions and coincidences - that brought my family here and now. We've all got things we can allow to make us miserable but it's actually hard to overlook all the amazing things in my life. I have a lot of self-doubt and confidence issues that I wrestle with but then, when I take a look at the blessings all around me, I'm reminded that we have a loving Father who more than makes up for my shortcomings.
On Easter you wrote that. Amen.