Getting velcro to stick?!

srfnmnk

Any tips on how to get velcro to stick to foam? Best glue?

I don't like spending the money on the adhesive velcro so I am looking for a good alternative. I've tried super glue and hot glue and neither seems to work too great, especially for the battery on the bottom of the swappables.

Thanks.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I'm surprised you're having problems with hot glue. It has always been pretty reliable for me. Are you using a high-temp gun?

What kind of foam is it? EPO? EPP? Or... you said swappables, so is it Dollar Tree foam board?

Tactical Ex

You can use Hot glue if you apply the right method.

1. Put hot glue on the bottom of the Velcro and stick the Velcro to the surface and flatten it out by moving the piece around then let it cool.
2. Go over the edge of the Velcro where the plastic fibers meet the foam board and run a small line of hot glue on it then, carefully use a piece of foam board or BBQ skewer to flatten out the bead while being careful not to get any glue in the hook or loop material.

If you do it right you wont have an issue with it separating. If you do it wrong the glue around the edges will stick up as high as the hook and loops and you will get a loose grip.

srfnmnk

It's dollar tree foam board. It sticks at first but then after a crash or changing out the battery a few times the velcro/glue starts falling off. You've had luck with hot glue?

srfnmnk

You can use Hot glue if you apply the right method.
2. Go over the edge of the Velcro where the plastic fibers meet the foam board and run a small line of hot glue on it then, carefully use a piece of foam board or BBQ skewer to flatten out the bead while being careful not to get any glue in the hook or loop material.

Awesome, I had done step one but had never tried combining it with step two. I thought about it but assumed it was unnecessary. I will try this and report back. Thanks for the tip.

srfnmnk

Oh wait! I just remembered. I'm not sticking it to foam I am sticking it to extreme packing tape lol. Whoops. I think the bead along the sides will still work just fine though. I'm still planning to try that.

srfnmnk

is that the glue that two different chemicals mix together and make a glue, or is that like gorilla glue?

srfnmnk

1. Put hot glue on the bottom of the Velcro and stick the Velcro to the surface and flatten it out by moving the piece around then let it cool.

This worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

Tactical Ex

Yes, there is usually Velcro designed to be sewn on rather than stuck on in craft stores like Jo-Ann fabrics. I've see them in the craft isle of Wal-Mart in 2ft sections as well.

Home Depot has them is larger lengths.

tankball

Posting Elsewhere
i use Ad Tech hot blue. but they changed the sticks, i use the clear sticks, the frost sticks DO NOT hold up.
Clear is on the right. Frost (crap) is on the left

witch sticks r u using? clear sticks will work in a low-temp gun to. but using a high-temp is the best

aiidanwings

I've had good luck placing a strip of colored craft duct tape on the fb then really HOT hot glue for the Velcro.