Giant Scale - Builds:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Post your Giant scale builds here!
With the release of the new Giant scale Maker-Foam, I had just purchased some motors that spin 12-14" props... approx. 4-lbs thrust each.

IMAA Criteria

• Minimum of 80" wingspan for Monoplanes
    • Minimum of 60" wingspan for multi-wing planes
  • Ducted Fan and Turbine aircraft must have 140" combined length and width
A true quarter scale RC airplane or larger will be permitted even if it doesn't the above requirements.

Sooo. with the new Maker foam What aircraft should I make?

DutchRoll

How about something outside of the box like the asymmetrical Blohm & Voss BV 141 (single) or the Scaled Composite 202 Boomerang (twin).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m following this thread for sure! I hope to build a giant P-38 sometime when I have the funds and space!

cgoffroad

It would depend on how obscure you are willing to go. In the late 70s The USAF was running a study called the Advanced Medium STOL transport program. One of the aircraft that came out of this program was Boeing YC-14. It incorporated the blown-flaps concept and took advantage of the Coanda effect over the upper wing. Ultimately only 2 aircraft were built though. There is one on display at the Prima air and space museum. It would make for a unique large scale build, and wouldn't take much to get a working model. There are plans on here for a C-17 with blow through flaps, add the forward fuselage of a C-130 (ish) and the tail of an Airbus A-400 then scale appropriately. The engine nacelles can be made by scaling the nose of the FT corsair down to fit a 90mm EDF. If you kept the weight way down you could probably even run a BDF style setup instead of EDFs.

604px-Yc14-1_072.jpg 640px-YC14-3Seiten.jpg yc-14.jpg

speedbirdted

Legendary member
You could probably fly a 100" BV238 off of C-pack motors and still get it to take off from water :p That's what I had in mind for my Me 264 (if I ever start that...) and according to the math I did it should work and that plane is about the same size but with two less motors...

BV 238 V1.jpg

cgoffroad

FoamyDM- Thrust reversing engines sometimes create a votex when backing. YC-14 was a STOL aircraft and the thrust reversing was used to aid in braking on short runways with heavy cargo.

FoamyDM

@speedbirdted - is that a spruce Gander?
@cgoffroad - Merci
For those who Don't know...Monster Maker foam is 3/8 thick, 30"x40" (creased in half to 30x20). there are 25 in a box. It is water resistant, and translucent (great for LEDS). My local hobby shop is getting some for us to buy by the sheet.
1583256729977.png

I have two of something like these with the props and escs. This means I have around 20 lbs of push on whatever I build.
I'm thinking two things... either a Large 747 with parasite craft. pusher style or the Crimson Skies heaven's spades carrier.
1583266820793.png

but I like what I'm seeing.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@speedbirdted - is that a spruce Gander?
@cgoffroad - Merci
For those who Don't know...Monster Maker foam is 3/8 thick, 30"x40" (creased in half to 30x20). there are 25 in a box. It is water resistant, and translucent (great for LEDS). My local hobby shop is getting some for us to buy by the sheet.
View attachment 160106
I have two of something like these with the props and escs. This means I have around 20 lbs of push on whatever I build.
I'm thinking two things... either a Large 747 with parasite craft. pusher style or the Crimson Skies heaven's spades carrier.
View attachment 160130
but I like what I'm seeing.
That would be sweet!

FoamyDM

Assymetrical, 3D, Carriers.
I was also thinking large Vampire or P-61 black widow. The front will have to have a Scarlett Johansson nose art
lastly, a Synergy