Give me some ideas.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So I had a coupon for Michaels for 25% of my entire order including sale items...and it was set to expire today. I couldn't let that go to waste! So I debated just picking up a few bottles of airbrush paint...but the dust on them was so thick I didn't really want to spend that much for obviously old paint.

Instead I decided to reinforce my strategic balsa reserves with a few more sheets and squares. And now I've got a decent stack of balsa ( Couple large 1/8" sheets couple large 1/16" sheets, even some 1/4" and a few 1/4" and 1/8" squares ) which is calling out to me.

The problem is...every time I sit down with a pile of balsa I get too many ideas and can't decide what to build. A few years ago I printed out plans for a couple of small scale free flight models...but now I'm leaning more towards something I can toss some 9g servos and a brushless into. I could do another glider...but I'm still chicken to fly the one I already built.

I'm leaning towards something in a 30-40" wingspan high wing trainer style probably with a bit of dihedral. Of course I can find plenty of plans....but I know I'll just spend hours going through them and never make a decision. I'm also open to other ideas. Lately I've been flying my Versa and old Fogey the most - but I like my Spitfire and Racer as well (Loved my BloodyWonder but got tired of problems with the power pod ripping out and .) I'm loving the quick easy builds of electric foamies...but I think it's time to make some sawdust again.

So. Let's hear some suggestions.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Saw a canard glider in Model Aviation a few months back -- might make an awesome power glider conversion.

. . . I'd look it up, but the stupid AMA site won't let me in :mad:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I like the high wing trainer idea. The ugly stick is a classic design.
Vq52810.jpg

It doesn't have dihedral, but this one does. (I think)
05.jpg

Something basic like that would be a good idea. Even if you get plans that doesn't have dihedral, you can add some.

These aren't very good plans, but I think all of the formers for the wings are the same so you could base a plane off of them.
uglystickplan.jpg

I should mention that I haven't built with balsa. Other than some Guillow free flight planes. But I thought about buying a laser cut kit of a plane similar to the "Das Ugly Stick".

I think it really comes down to how much time you want to put into the build and how complex of a build you're willing to do. If you want something simple, definitely go with Das Ugly Stick. If you want something more complicated, then maybe a Cessna type of single engine plane. Or a motorized glider.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
If you want, I can pass you on the PDF plans for the Modelhob Coyote which I recently made at 50% size giving a wingspan of 735mm. It's an all balsa build high wing tail dragging trainer, along the lines of the Decathlon, designed in the 70's with a Clark-Y wing and just 3 channels, although it's easy to lower the dihedral and add some ailerons if you want, which I'm probably going to make a second wing for just that. It's a very tranquile and easy plane in the air, good for days of no wind and when you just want a quiet fly around with a hangover;)

I'll post a couple of photos of mine tomorrow from the library, as my phone just refuses to upload the photos (stupid country with it's terrible internet services)... in the mean time, there are plenty of photos on my build thread, arbeit it's in spanish hehehe my coyote 50% build

Edit

Lol, it did upload an image in the end!

Attachments

• Coyote 1.JPG
    Coyote 1.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Never really been a fan of the Ugly Sticks. Just not really my style. I'd say it's just a visceral reaction to the iron cross they usually have on them...but even when they don't have it they just don't look good to me. And I'm not so much looking for simple...kind of looking for a build I can take my time with and really enjoy - maybe getting into some Scale details.

That Coyote looks tempting...that's definitely more of what I'm looking for. And I'm really starting to lean towards a 3ch option. I was kind of wanting to go with ailerons...but given how I fly my aileron foamies it's probably not a great idea for me to tackle one in balsa just yet.)

Just for some background I've got a good bit of experience building in balsa - just very little flying it. I built quite a few balsa and tissue models in the early 80's when I was growing up (and monokote was just getting popular but was out of my budget.) I had a cub that I loved, was around a 24" wingspan and rubber powered - one of the few planes I built back then that lasted multiple flights. (until it had a most unfortunate run-in with the cleaning lady while awaiting repairs. I still refuse to have a cleaning person to this day as a result.) I eventually worked up to building a Fokker DR.1 but never quite finished it. A combination of moving to a new house just after I finished the basic assembly but before I fully covered it, some early attempts with monokote not going well, the thought that I may be able to afford a radio, and then starting middle school and being more interested in girls and basketball than planes left it on the build board way too long and was the end of my model aviation days until a few years ago when I picked up a micro heli and a 9x and got myself hooked again.

Digging through Outterzone last night I found this which I'm definitely going to have to build...but it's not going to scratch the itch I'm looking to scratch with this thread: http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5351

Given how much I like my old fogey this is kind of temping: http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1171

This American Dragon is something I'd really like to tackle...but not sure I want to do a bipe...when I am in the mood for one though this sure looks like my style of plane: http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4462

This Graupner Amateur really looks tempting much like Epi's Coyote above: http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4246

But my big concern is my relative inexperience with electric. And none of these are really designed as electric planes or have tips on electric conversion.

So I'm not put off by a complicate build as I feel my skills on the building site are ready to tackle just about anything. But my skills on the sticks and my skills at setting up a plane for RC/electric have me leaning towards a 3ch and preferably one designed or at least well documented as a conversion for electric.

rcspaceflight

There certainly are a lot of options out there. And honestly, they all look about the same. It may not really matter which one you choose. (Looks wise)

Maybe it's a good idea for you to buy a laser cut kit. I know that's not what you'll looking for, but you could quickly build a cheap ugly laser cut balsa kit and fly that until you feel your flying skills are there. I'm guessing that part of the reason why you're not comfortable with flying a balsa plane is because of all the time and hard work you put into the plane. I know that's why I'm holding off on getting into balsa. Personally I don't want to spend a hundred hours building something just to crash it after flying for less than 10 hours. I know balsa is fixable, but still.

It's just an idea for you to buy a laser cut kit, quickly put it together, and fly that while you take your time building. Then really enjoy the build for a more complicated scratch build. Just think of the laser cut kit as a practice plane. A throw away, who cares, beater plane.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Or you could find a laser cut kit of a plane you want and scratch build it's big brother. I've seen lots of builds that are scaled up versions of smaller kits.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
A Citabria was the last plane I had before getting out of the hobby. It was also my first foam plane and my first powered by more than rubber. It was an MRC Bellanca Citabria that came ARF (still free flight) with a brushed motor powered by some small nicad's that recharged off a plastic deal you held to the bottom for a minute or two before flight (which held 4 C or D batteries) giving you about 30 seconds of powered flight. Flew the heck out of that thing until finally breaking a wing beyond repair and not being able to find a replacement at my LHS (This being pre-internet.)

I think I actually still have the box from it laying around somewhere.

I'm really looking more for the build than the flying on this one. So laser cut really isn't what I'm looking for. I've done enough die cut balsa planes in the past that the laser cut stuff just seems to take some of the "fun" out of it for me. My glider is a RealKits Medicine Man and was just print wood not pre-cut in any way and I loved the build: http://realkits.com/products.html I of course saved the plans and could build another...but it's not quite what I'm going for.

I'm half temped to just collect a half dozen or so ideas that I'd be willing to build and then doing a poll and letting the board pick for me from the short list....

rcspaceflight

I'm half temped to just collect a half dozen or so ideas that I'd be willing to build and then doing a poll and letting the board pick for me from the short list....

Sometimes when I'm faced with a tough decision I'll flip a coin on it. Because the coin is "final", sometimes the coin says to go in one direction and because I'm "forced" to go with it, I realize that it's not the better option and I go with the other. lol. The point is, sometimes by forcing a final choice it makes you realize which one you'd much rather go with. Kind of like a "oops, I didn't want to do that". Maybe that only helps me. But doing a poll is a great idea. Maybe after the poll and you're "forced" to go with one then you'll realize you don't want that one and you were hoping for a different one to win. Then go with that one. lol.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I've never built balsa, but if your looking for something small, that uses one of those off-brand-hard-to-find-all-in-one-boards, Try this:http://www.guillow.com/aeroncachampion.aspx
there are also pipers on that site if you'd prefer them. If your hoping to put a brushless in, use xuzme720's idea and scale it up. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
More ideas woo! I still haven't decided what to tackle...but I'm in no hurry since it's still outside season here (though quickly turning into inside season with temps over 100 all last week...ugh.) And my build table is still full of quadrotor/fpv and currently Ukrainian easter eggs (another long time hobby of mine.)

Still not looking for a kit. I've done kits before and am looking for a bit more of a challenge - just plans.

That Mini Bee is kind of interesting. Not sure I'm huge on it's lines, that dual vertical stab looks out of place ... but I'll probably download the plans and take a closer look at least ;)

ViperTech

It has the option of standard single stab.
I built it out of foam board and I am/was too green to fly it now it is a pile of foam!
I might try it again ?!?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Too much what?

Coolness? maybe . . . .

If you can fly the foam version well, it should treat you well. I wouldn't count on the exploding nose to save the remander of the fuse, but you never know . . . Foam nose with a balsa frame perhaps?

Tactical Ex

Too much what?

Coolness? maybe . . . .

If you can fly the foam version well, it should treat you well. I wouldn't count on the exploding nose to save the remander of the fuse, but you never know . . . Foam nose with a balsa frame perhaps?

Exactly! Sometimes I think in this hobby, if you cant come up with a good answer for "Why not?" Then just keep going!

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
If you want a challenge jhitesma, build an Osprey or an autogyro.

You have the best (or worst depending on your point of view), the technical challenges would make most of us (who don't build thier own FCBs) scream in frustration and the coolness factor is even better than an annual tree burn.

My father has a 4' propellor from an RC autogyro he built in the 60s for Douglass. Not a 4' rotor. The rotor was MUCH larger. The propellor now has been made into a clock and he keeps it above his workbench. He built parts for NASA, Northrop and Douglass but I think he is most proud of that autogyro because it was so challenging.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
An autogyro has been on my mind several times. I had a friend growing up who's father flew them and I've been fascinated by them since. But I'd probably go foam for that first :D

I guess the challenge I'm looking for is more along the lines of a complex build with lots of bits to build. I loved the triplane I build as a kid because I got to build 3 similar but slightly different wings in one build.

Another month or two and I'll force myself into making a decision - until then I'll keep collecting ideas :D

slappySF

If you love your Old Fogey, build yourself a Clancy Lazy Bee 40"!!!! Such a cool plane! I built one last year from a short kit and old plans I downloaded. LOVE that plane. See below...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: