Give the FAA an inch....

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Well death of RC soon to come soon...Yah well sounds like anything over 4.4 found will need all this crap. Theres about 1/2+ of models. Also I bet you there is going to be extra expenses. Lets hope those who vote understand the long term impact of this.. I doubt they will all the think is drone = evil.

Not sure the AMA and its members are going to have enough clout to succeed in fixing this... http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...-with-senate-on-faa-reauthorization-act-2016/

Last edited:

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
It's not so much the FAA as congress, correct? We get the quality of legislation that matches the quality of the people we elect to office. I argue that the recent registration program enacted by the FAA was an attempt to educate new people and hopefully avoid a massive knee-jerk by congress in response to a significant accident. So long as no one does anything really stupid, perhaps some of these bills will get straightened out in committee.

Mike

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I see the AMA is looking out for themselves still and Congress is working on a way to monetize our hobby further as I originally suspected.

Stand by for a line in the DMV for drone licensing as well as yet another insurance payment in your monthly mail collection.

Sea_Kerman

The way I'm seeing it, scratch builders will give them hell. Thousands of review requests for thousands of designs.

MrClean

Scratch balsa, dang near everything I do in Coroplast is new and different and kinda the same, I ain't gonna re-invent the wheel ya know. In the end I'm sure the safety of all over the mere fun factor for the few will strike an advantageous balance in a world where we've been promissed a flying car for almost 100 years but the reality is never will it be safe enough with forced air repulsion. We will have to find a different, safer means of hovering to allow flying cars. Multi copter drones are fine for objects not for living creatures and in with that in mind they'll work for stasis.

In short, we're boned.

BobK

Banned
Personally, I think the FAA (government) wants the airspace we use..and doesn't want us pesky R/C pilots in their way.

[QUOTEIn short, we're boned.][/QUOTE]

I agree.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Personally, I think the FAA (government) wants the airspace we use..and doesn't want us pesky R/C pilots in their way.

[QUOTEIn short, we're boned.]

I agree.[/QUOTE]

"Amazon" wants our airspace. The FAA is being leveraged. Voting matters.

Mike

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor

"Amazon" wants our airspace. The FAA is being leveraged. Voting matters.

Mike[/QUOTE]

This. The FAA was told by Congress to figure this out YEARS ago, and they couldn't have cared less. Then the deadline loomed, around the same time Amazon made a promo video about aerial package home delivery...and forced their hand to actually have to look like they're "doing something".

...and Google.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah but with power systems and battery tech we have now any drone delivery is far off.

I wont even go into the fact all the stupid people flying and causing problems for us will cause problems for the deliveries as I am SURE they will be the ones losing fingers or getting hurt by these drones. Darwin is too well established in the human population for someone NOT to get hurt by autonomous delivery systems. If it does actual become reality I am a sure it wont last long simply because of that.

You cant fix stupid.

MrClean

Can I get Amazon to drone me in some Tannerite so I can blow my lawn mower up? that's what I want to know.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Can I get Amazon to drone me in some Tannerite so I can blow my lawn mower up? that's what I want to know.

Probably

The way I've read the document in question it seems a lot more to do with small businesses building and selling multi-rotors. There is a lot of wordage such as "manufacturer" "manufacturing". I'm not really sure if that would apply to the individual unless maybe you build RC planes to sell.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

You did read the article where it said it made a pre programmed flight and did the delivery in a VACANT area. No one there to receive the order. no added people to interfere with or try to take the order and most of all no kids to run out and try to grab their new toy delivery while the props are spinning.

ANYONE who believes this will be a viable business is off their rocker there are just far too many scenarios that even the safest of drone practice can not address whether the system of delivery is reliable and efficient or not. Then get into the insurance costs alone for something like this and that makes shipping costs out weigh ANY benefits of speed.

Oh yeah.. and until they get that whole weather control thing in check... I'm sure you tried to fly under less then optimal conditions right?

Take this all for what it is. Someone stirring the pot regarding drone use.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
You did read the article where it said it made a pre programmed flight and did the delivery in a VACANT area. No one there to receive the order. no added people to interfere with or try to take the order and most of all no kids to run out and try to grab their new toy delivery while the props are spinning.

ANYONE who believes this will be a viable business is off their rocker there are just far too many scenarios that even the safest of drone practice can not address whether the system of delivery is reliable and efficient or not. Then get into the insurance costs alone for something like this and that makes shipping costs out weigh ANY benefits of speed.

Oh yeah.. and until they get that whole weather control thing in check... I'm sure you tried to fly under less then optimal conditions right?

Maybe in small scale delivery. But I could maybe see something more automated for international transport. Heck most of the passenger jets that are flying today have many automated systems. Most of the small scale stuff is still mostly science projects. Amazon may roll out something eventually but I doubt it will be anything serious right now. Mostly seems like a marketing gimmick.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Planes will always be able to carry larger loads then any delivery method to date for international or even major airport to another airport. The scale a drone would have to be to beat that would be immense. Kinda defeats the purpose in the way Amazon is saying they wish to use them. I just don't see it being anything more then experimentation as the general public makes it too unsafe to do reliably.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Planes will always be able to carry larger loads then any delivery method to date for international or even major airport to another airport. The scale a drone would have to be to beat that would be immense. Kinda defeats the purpose in the way Amazon is saying they wish to use them. I just don't see it being anything more then experimentation as the general public makes it too unsafe to do reliably.

Yeah that's what I meant... the "drone" would be more MQ-1/MQ-9 looking and less DJI phantom looking. We are probably more likely to see automated cargo planes in the future than home delivery drones.

BobK

Banned

I did read the whole article, and I do understand all of the contributing factors such as weather etc. I also fully understand that this was a small scale test in a vacant area, but there IS testing going on.

Small scale testing of course, but keep in mind even the a-bomb was tested in a small scale before it was used seriously.

I am not saying this concept of using drones will positively happen, but I am also not going to say it never will happen.