GlassRat - Ridge Rat balsa conversion

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
uhhhh pretty sure antennas are 2 wires, positive and negative. but im no expert. If it has 2 antennas i have flown with one just fine before, having ripped one off myself. Do a range test (range test mode on the tx)

I think this is a 2200mah nimh pack, 4x AA batteries basically.

thenated0g

Mentor
oh yeah and on those non pcb antennas, just the floppy cable, the only actual transmitter part is the unprotected end of the cable and that unprotected sections length is very specific and should be kept' straight if you can.

TooJung2Die

Master member
on those non pcb antennas, just the floppy cable, the only actual transmitter part is the unprotected end of the cable
That's the antenna part I'm trying to describe. Only the tip is the antenna. The wire section that leads up to the bare antenna tip is shielded coaxial. The shield has to be be soldered to Rx ground. Two connections at the Rx board; antenna and shield.

Some receivers have two antenna. Probably most newer receivers but it isn't the rule.

Many small micro receivers have only the short antenna tip soldered to the Rx board and no extended coax before it therefore no shield to solder.

thenated0g

Mentor
Latched, ready for maiden

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_173157.jpg
    IMG_20200104_173157.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200104_173147.jpg
    IMG_20200104_173147.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

TooJung2Die

Master member
might need a magnifying glass? 😀
I need magnifiers. I have two strengths of reading glasses for my work bench and head strap magnifiers for real small work like soldering to Rx boards. You said the whole antenna connector came off the board. If you can't get the connector soldered back on you might be able to solder the cable directly to the board and eliminate the connector. It'll save the Rx.

Wildthing

Legendary member
@TooJung2Die - I was afraid of that - will see if it is possible to resolder the antenna clip to the board which will have signal and ground to orient - might need a magnifying glass? 😀
Fixed a couple and yes you need a magnifying glass :D . Oh and it is really fun stripping those tiny little coax wires and make sure you don't have a little straggler of a wire that grounds it out :D