GlassRat - Ridge Rat balsa conversion

stereodreieck86

I tried Japanesepaper and with Ponal Express Glue on my Shinden build (see link below), the result is surprisingly strong and fun to work with; no sticky fingers, no smell and it's a fast method.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...den-adding-controlsurfaces-and-saveing-weight
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG

TooJung2Die

Master member
As far as paper covering i am a big fan of it.
I understand the concept behind paper covering. I haven't tried it myself. I admit it's a case of "contempt prior to investigation". ;) I don't understand why paper that falls apart when wet is used. Why not use a tear resistant paper like Japanese esaki or even coffee filters?

stereodreieck86

The construction paper is a little bit thinner than like a paper bag. When it dries its super strong.

I would totally start a build a right now! but I have two problems; A. too many builds in the pipeline already (one ship, ASW28, Carrera Optimus, the Shinden and a Hotwirecutter) and B. I couldn't find the red(ish) construction paper in Germany.

Btw: Should I start a "General Covering" thread since we are pretty OFFTOPIC here ?

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Cut the ailerons off in prep for hinging with goop or silicone. I mixed up some thick epoxy and Cabosil and covered all the exposed foam. This will protect the foam from breaking apart later and from the goop or silicone which will eat thru it. Also an extra pic of a info kiosk they were throwing away at work. Been converting to a retropie arcade and so not working on planes lol. Im back on it now though.
IMG_20191130_113658.jpg IMG_20191130_113705.jpg IMG_20191130_113717.jpg
IMG_20191130_113723.jpg
I'm not too happy with the colored epoxy so i plan on giving it a light sand prior to gluing to the fuselage and than will mask and paint everything later.

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - I am glad you are back on it - I have been a bit distracted on other ships lately and the Ridge Rat has suffered!

On a positive note, I have three sailplanes ready for the slope in the 1.5m wing range - the Spit and two DLGs, not to mention the Versa, so I am good and armed going forward. I have also moved over to OTX on the Jumper, so I am looking forward to trying it out!

So now I can get back onto the Ridge Rat - My wing covering (clear book covering film) on the RR has softened while sitting, so I am going to strip that and try again with the monocote, and also get the fuse cleaned up - the tail feathers are done, so this really deserves to be finished!

Phil

IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_8000.JPG

Last edited:

thenated0g

Mentor
I love pitcherons, i just haven't spent any time researching the mechanisms people have come up with for it. Super nice that you dont need to do anything in the tail.

Hinged the glassrat ailerons with goop today:

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - sadly, I decided the wing mount positions on the RR to make pitcherons are in the wrong place, and the servos will be under too much load to hold the wing position - so what must one do? Add some new CF rods into the wing to move the mounting into a better position (it will mean the whole wing will move forward a bit, but luckily we made the nose longer eh)! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
@thenated0g - it is all starting to come together now! I am chipping away with mine and will take it to show-off to one of the Pro flier guys tonight. I have started drawing up a new version based on the 'Xica' that I want to make in the style of the 'Jester' in 2020! onwards and sidewards! :D

thenated0g

Mentor
Wing feels like it has a strong connection with the fuselage. I used some 15 minute epoxy and cabosil (splooge) to fill and fillet one side of the mount this morning. Will do the other side and bottom as well to give a smoother and stronger transition.
IMG_20191212_141232.jpg IMG_20191213_062437.jpg IMG_20191213_062446.jpg

bracesport

Legendary member
Nice - looking at my RR last night, they are certainly retro looking ships - I can’t decide on my tail, but I am leaning towards a V!

Looks like it will be a race to the finish line! My braided fuse is super strong!