Solved Glider electrics

OlliePackman

Got a couple of these vintage looking balsa glider. They need 2 servos in for rudd and elev so I was just gonna use these orange rx's. What battery would I use though as its only powering 2 servos and how would I plug it into the receiver as in do I need an esc or can I go straight into the receiver.

dingrftfr

Attachments

• Losi-JR.jpg
    Losi-JR.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
Many receivers are ok for 6V and above but the servos may not be.
Its not the ESC you need but an UBEC that reduces the battery voltage (it could be a 2s LiPo) efficiently to a constant 5V. It is plugged directly into the receiver into its 'batt' socket so the servos are powered in the normal way.
A 3A type would be sufficient for 2 servos.
The one from HobbyKing is cheap, small and weighs 5g.

Bricks

Master member
Me personally have not seen a servo that 6 volts will hurt them even the 9 gram cheapo`s seem to be fine with 6 volts, now the mini 3.5 and 5 gram servos it is a no go. Your mileage may vary.

Had to add there are a few of the old Futaba full size servos that will not take the 6 volts makes holes in the bottom of the servo where the motor sits.......stinks like H---.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Used to be back in Neanderthal times, all you had was 4 dry cells which was 6 volts. All my new stuff works ok on dry cells except the 6 channel fasst receiver known issue