Glider plans

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@Matthewdupreez - thank you for drawing my attention to this. OK... I have a friend who bought a Second hand Sorcerer (balsa Model) which he wouldn't fly. I told him, "do I need to design a foamboard version in a week, just so you can make *IT* and fly?" and He "challenged" me that I couldn't make a Foamboard version. and so it began.

This of course was something I couldn't just leave alone. Like the thread above, it was a plane I couldn't just pass up. It's too good looking.

I promptly went to work putting together the Foam board plans, and then building it. (quickly I might add.) I was taunting my friend, that I would design, build, and FLY mine before he would even attempt a maiden of the already build model he kept bringing to the field.

The build log here has most of the journey. including two maiden flights/attempts.

The catch is, I was not interested in releasing plans for a model built from them, I couldn't show flying well. For some reason, I could get this model to turn right. I have the plans ready (I built from them). They will build a beautiful plane that you can play toss with. RC? the verdict is still out.

My friend, after being shown up in a way, found a good day to maiden his plane and had the same issue I did, and couldn't turn one way resulting in some damage. Not Major, but still damage.

My maiden Flight:

Conclusion - It flies well. if not for the control issue.

PM me if you would like my plans to this plane. And I will get them to you. It is 7-sheets.

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
@Matthewdupreez - thank you for drawing my attention to this. OK... I have a friend who bought a Second hand Sorcerer (balsa Model) which he wouldn't fly. I told him, "do I need to design a foamboard version in a week, just so you can make *IT* and fly?" and He "challenged" me that I couldn't make a Foamboard version. and so it began.

This of course was something I couldn't just leave alone. Like the thread above, it was a plane I couldn't just pass up. It's too good looking.

I promptly went to work putting together the Foam board plans, and then building it. (quickly I might add.) I was taunting my friend, that I would design, build, and FLY mine before he would even attempt a maiden of the already build model he kept bringing to the field.

The build log here has most of the journey. including two maiden flights/attempts.

The catch is, I was not interested in releasing plans for a model built from them, I couldn't show flying well. For some reason, I could get this model to turn right. I have the plans ready (I built from them). They will build a beautiful plane that you can play toss with. RC? the verdict is still out.

My friend, after being shown up in a way, found a good day to maiden his plane and had the same issue I did, and couldn't turn one way resulting in some damage. Not Major, but still damage.

My maiden Flight:

Conclusion - It flies well. if not for the control issue.

PM me if you would like my plans to this plane. And I will get them to you. It is 7-sheets.
Thay a pity.....
Was it using rudder or ailerons to turn???

Brian B

Elite member
Potential is there in the video. The inverted gull wing adds anhedral, which must be compensated with additional dehedral, to get the same stabilizing effect as a standard wing with typical dihedral. Prototype seemed low angle to start off, so it looked roll-unstable, that just a touch of wing warp would have kicked off-the-ball.
Size is nice. I think a pusher configuration would be sweet! Shouldn't need ailerons it it had this much dihedral.
404017_937c3540d6a37383b871805b9fa88cc3.jpg

Photo From outerzone article.
Yes I understand that. It seems they loaded on the dihedral like crazy, and from what I think I saw FoamyDM built with very little dihedral. It's not the final answer - maybe he needs ailerons to help trim it out - but it could be significant. Not my plane, not my monkeys, not my circus. He'll know better than I.

Quick question: Who just posted a pic of his scratchbuilt chuck glider, beautifully formed with a box fuse and nice rounded nose? It was within the last 2 or 3 days and it was white FB and I don't see it here on this thread.

XDmToter

I'd be interested if you post your patterns to the resources. Love that head-on view.

Let me build a prototype first. ;)

If I can get it to balance (I'm concerned about the weight of the carbon reinforcements that will be needed to stiffen the tail booms), and Fly, then I will certainly post my plans. I will warn you, I did not start out with Flite Test planes, so my design is nothing like "Flite Test Style". The wings use ribs to hold a nice fair curve, and it's designed for ModelPlanFoam which is thicker than DTFB.

Sorcerer-XRay.png

XDmToter

It seems they loaded on the dihedral like crazy

I think the appearance of the dihedral in that black and white photo is greatly exaggerated because of the perspective the picture was taken at. The official plans call for 4.25 inches of dihedral at the wing tips, which I followed in my Sketchup file.

Tench745

Master member
I think the appearance of the dihedral in that black and white photo is greatly exaggerated because of the perspective the picture was taken at. The official plans call for 4.25 inches of dihedral at the wing tips, which I followed in my Sketchup file.
I agree perspective makes the dihedral really hard to eyeball between pictures. I downloaded the plans just to better understand the plane. It looks to me like @FoamyDM's Magician has less dihedral than your sketchup. You version looks pretty good. It looks like the wings separate on yours as well, is that correct? Foamy's maiden video looked like there may have been a little slop in that spar connection.

XDmToter

You version looks pretty good. It looks like the wings separate on yours as well, is that correct?

Thank You.

I was hoping to work out a way to make the wing tips removable for transport, since this is a 2.2 Meter design. Not quite sure how to manage that, though.

I have another design where I used 4mm OD x 2.5mm ID Carbon Tubes in the wing and fuselage and a 2mm Carbon Rod as a joiner. Then used some of those 3M wall mount clips and rubber bands to hold it all together, but I didn't really care for that. You can see pictures of what I mean in the first three posts here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2561848-MPF-Drak-48-with-Plans-and-Video