Gliding wing?

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
The software is exactly the same on the two radios, or it can be, the difference is the hardware and protocol, the 9x has crappy 2.4ghz protocol and crappy hardware (gimbals and switches). The better hardware will last longer and work better, and the price is not all that much more for what you get. The taranus compares to $500 radios, hence, why it is on backorder and you have to wait...you might want to just get on the list now, they don't hold you to the purchase later..

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Oh, yeah, I've been on the list for a while now. Hopefully I'll be in the first batch that comes out!

The 9X should get you in the air and beyond for some time, KLJ. All the moving parts are replaceable if/when they do die. I've already had to change one of the pots that was acting funny, but I had one on hand so it was a non-issue. I've also read people swapping out the whole gimbal assembly for a Hitec gimbal. I thought I had a link, but I can't find it. Must be on the laptop...
Anyway, If you can afford it, I would definitely go for the Turnigy 9X. And I would also recommend upgrading the FW to ER9X. You won't need all the stuff it can do right away, but at least you'll already have it when you do need it. Plus it's easier to program. With the open FW, it's always being updated and improved, too. Obviously, the Taranis is a better option, but if necessary, go with the 9X for now and move up to the Taranis later. You'll be able to appreciate the better hardware in the radio by that point as well.