Glow powered Foamies

CraftyPilot

Hey there,

I just printed and cut out some plans for a glow powered SM1019B.
I chose it because it seemed like a small high-wing plane would be a good platform to test fly some of my restored and new .049 Cox Engines and others.
Hopefully I'll find some time to cut out and glue the pieces together.
If enough people are interested in building one, I might upload a resource for it.

SM1019B.jpg

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
That's nearly everything cut out, just missing the spar for now. My only concern is the wing area, as it looks a bit small.
View attachment 189877
Looks great so far! I'm building something similar in concept. I designed an .020 foam board air racer. One question though, How do you plan to fuel proof it? I'm using resin for the firewall but I don't know what to use for the rest of the airplane.
Here's a pic of the racer so far,
IMG_20210208_222856157.jpg

CraftyPilot

Looks great so far! I'm building something similar in concept. I designed an .020 foam board air racer. One question though, How do you plan to fuel proof it? I'm using resin for the firewall but I don't know what to use for the rest of the airplane.
Here's a pic of the racer so far

I have used a thick coat of spray on acrylic or poly urethane coating.
It works well for water proofing and is also resistant to most solvents.
I have done a few tests and the foamboard is only slightly attacked by the nitro, so a coat of waterproofing or just sealing paint should be enough.
If all fails you could also get some fuel resistant wrap like oracoat or similar.