Glue vs Tape on Wing Crack

QuantifiedFuzion

Plane: Sport Cub S by Horizion Hobby
Material: Styrofoam

I've very new to the hobby of RC aircraft and I'm not sure whether I should repair a wing crack with glue or tape. I'm pretty sure that tape would be the best option considering the crack is fairly minor, but I want to make sure. I would also like to know what tape/ glue would be the best (Ie" Scotch, Masking, etc.) I've attached 3 photos, one that shows the crack up close, one that shows it in relation to the rest of the wing, and one that shows the whole plane.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Image 1: The crack up close.
IMG_20141012_183916478_HDR.jpg
Image 2: The crack in regards to location on the wing.
IMG_20141012_183956685_HDR.jpg
Image 3: The entire plane.
IMG_20141012_184027026_HDR.jpg

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Get some slow dry 2 part epoxy and do a very small test on the bottom of the fuselage if it works use it over the crack.
I have used hot glue, CA, and slow dry epoxy on my delta ray and they all work but for a crack in the wing like that I would use the epoxy as it has more strength

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Definitely some kind of glue, not tape. Tape is okay for reinforcing, but I wouldn't rely on most forms of tape for repair/structural stuff. I would personally use hot glue, just because it's so easy to work with. Epoxy is not a bad choice either.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The best option might be Foam safe CA. It has a bit of flex when dry/cured and won't concentrate any stresses passing through the wing at the repair point. It is a bit costlier than your standard glues but sets really fast and won't melt the foam. White glue might also be an option if the foam cooperates.

QuantifiedFuzion

Thanks everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated! Although, considering I got 3 different answers, I'm just going to bring the plane to a local hobby store and have the guy check it out see what he recommends. Thank you all for your willingness to help and kindness on the forum!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Do what you like, but honestly, I think you're over-thinking it. The only thing to be careful of is that standard CA will dissolve/soften EPO foam. Hot glue or epoxy will work fine, or foam-safe CA if you have some. It's all good.

If you don't already own a hot glue gun, this could be a good excuse to pick one up. There are about a million uses for one once you own one. Make sure it's a high-temp or variable-temp option, as high-temp glue sticks a lot stronger.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's foam and therefore pretty forgiving. Any kind of glue that doesn't melt the foam will be fine. And in a pinch, tape can also be used for a temporary repair at the field. Use what you have on hand or get what you think you might get the most use out of. I keep a number of different glues on hand for different uses and materials, but most people just stick with hot glue. It just works.

Nortmic

It's foam and therefore pretty forgiving. Any kind of glue that doesn't melt the foam will be fine. And in a pinch, tape can also be used for a temporary repair at the field. Use what you have on hand or get what you think you might get the most use out of. I keep a number of different glues on hand for different uses and materials, but most people just stick with hot glue. It just works.

While I am new to RC I have a Cub myself and have two daughters that are getting into it with me so I have become somewhat of trial and error repair guy. So far the best solution I have found for foam is gorilla glue and the gorilla packing tape. For breaks I take a Qtip or cotton ball depending on size and dampen the surface of the break. Then I apply gorilla glue sparingly to the break. Then I add a piece of packing tape to the break. This prevents too much squeeze out of the glue and makes sure it fills any pics as it foams up.
For a crack like that I would use the packing tape perpendicular to the crack. These methods have worked awesome for my and the girls.

Last edited:

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I would use thick packing tape for that. Stiffer, and being that the wing is so thin, glue cannot do point-to-point bonding very well.

good luck!