Gluing decals on FT Brown foam board

Just a couple quick questions - what’s the best way to glue paper decals onto my FT mini mustang? Should I remove the brown paper or can I leave it on? Also, which glue should I use?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don’t use the brown stuff. On regular FB, I’ve had great results using Elmer's, any white or brown glue would work for me. The brow FB has a waxy surface, I’d try it on a scrap first.

Keno

What I use is spray adhesive, I prefer Krylon. You can try this, use Mod Podge Blue Bottle which is a Polycrylic water based and thinned out a bit (MinWax) and coat the decals back. Found this to be a good way to glue on decals. Mod Podge is a good product for coating your decal after they are attached. Anyway test it out and see how it works before you do it. Happy decorating.

Last edited:
What I use is spray adhesive, I prefer Krylon. You can try this, use Mod Podge Blue Bottle which is a Polycrylic water based and thinned out a bit (MinWax) and coat the decals back. Found this to be a good way to glue on decals. Mod Podge is a good product for coating your decal after they are attached. Anyway test it out and see how it works before you do it. Happy decorating.
Wait, so do I use Krylon to glue them on and then use mod pod ge to cover them? Or do I use mod podge mixed with mineax? Also, when I coat my decals (after they’ve been attached,) do I have to thin mod podge as well?

kdobson83

I print decals with my regular home color printer, the. Cover front and back with cheap packing tape to make them water resistant, cut them out, and then I use a good sprayed glue like 3m super 77 (don't go cheap with spray glue). You may want to scratch the surface of the foam board first as the water resistant coating may keep the glue from sticking all the way. And don't remove the paper from the foam board. The paper is what gives the foam it's strength.

Keno

Wait, so do I use Krylon to glue them on and then use mod pod ge to cover them? Or do I use mod podge mixed with mineax? Also, when I coat my decals (after they’ve been attached,) do I have to thin mod podge as well?

You can use spray adhesive to attach your decals and then coat them with Mod Podge (blue bottle). Mod Podge blue bottle is a Polycrylic water based protective finish thinned (use Mod Podge as it comes from the bottle) . I prefer this method, I also use other coating products to offer an affect that I prefer for my project.

You can also use Mod Podge to attach paper decals. Coat the back of your decal and area where wish to attach them. When attached, let them dry and then coat them with same.

The reason that I use spray adhesive (heavy coat) is the Mod Podge method has a tendency to cause your decals to "Bubble" (expansion of paper caused by moisture) and you have to carefully roll or press these during the drying period. This problem usually occurs with larger paper decals, kind of annoying .

And as kdobdon83 above advises it is a good idea that you sand the WRFB area that the decals are to be attach, and don't remove the FB paper. I kind of like the idea of the packing tape, I will have to look into that some more.. Happy Flying

Last edited: