Go Pro Protection Question

jaskoller

I'm a complete noob to the fixed wing hobby. However, I've been flying heli's for 10 years or so. Never FPV but many with my gopros for video or photography. My question is, why do the flite test guys and a lot of viewers NOT use the gopro cases for protection? Is it weight? Or aerodynamics? I'm currently building 3 planes, a blunt nose versa, a spit, and the bloody wonder. All the articles on the versa say it really needs extra weight up front, so why not use the gopro protective case as some of that weight? I'm sure there is a good reason so before I mount my gopro I'd just like to understand. Any help would be great!!!!!!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Ease of mounting. using Velcro straps make it easier to mount and remove. The case is cumbersome and where things get mounted its not always in a good spot to adjust so you can open the back. That's my guess

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
Ease of mounting. using Velcro straps make it easier to mount and remove. The case is cumbersome and where things get mounted its not always in a good spot to adjust so you can open the back. That's my guess
How I mount mine on my wing (not an FT wing) is without the case. The case just adds bulk, and at least on my gopro the case is fairly slick, which doesn't allow the velcro to hold it down very well. Also I like to cut out slots for my gogro to actually sit in the nose, and the case just adds more bulk to cut out. I like just mounting the "naked" gopro for the ease. Always try to make things easy on yourself. I don't think the case will matter, so go ahead and mount it with the case if you want.