Going to the Ocala area March 6th through the 9th.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
My wife is partaking in an annual event about 30 minutes north east of Ocala. I'm driving her down, dropping her off, and going to explore and camp in that region. I hope to get some FPV flying in the Ocala National Forest.

Anyone have any sites they'd like to suggest? Any places that are of the "must visit" variety?

Or, would anyone like to meet for a cup of coffee?

I'll be bringing my Bixler, and my QAV400.

Looking forward to any suggestions.

jdyal

The only suggestion that I have is be careful where you fly. Be sure to check out google maps satellite before you bust out your aircraft because there is a HUGE military base there and I'd be willing to bet they don't take kindly to civilian aircraft with cameras getting near their property.

Other than that enjoy the forest, its really beautiful!

ViperTech

Well I don't know much about that area but I do know of a hobby shop in Ocala, if you have an need of parts on your trip.

Heads Up RC
1645 SE 58th Ave., Suite 2
Ocala, FL 34480

I have made some purchases from them and they are great! They have a walk in retail shop!
Just in case!

Gerald, ViperTech

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The only suggestion that I have is be careful where you fly. Be sure to check out google maps satellite before you bust out your aircraft because there is a HUGE military base there and I'd be willing to bet they don't take kindly to civilian aircraft with cameras getting near their property.

Other than that enjoy the forest, its really beautiful!

Actually it's not so much a base as a target -- There's bombing range south of SR40 and west of SR19 . . . and pretty far in.

Yeah, probably a good area to steer clear of, but more for the munitions than the Guards.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Well I don't know much about that area but I do know of a hobby shop in Ocala, if you have an need of parts on your trip.

Heads Up RC
1645 SE 58th Ave., Suite 2
Ocala, FL 34480

I have made some purchases from them and they are great! They have a walk in retail shop!
Just in case!

Gerald, ViperTech

Yeah, I'll have to go there again. It always upsets earthsciteach because he loves that store… :D

pigsfly

Sorry, late on this thread, just joined this morning on ft. I currently live in Ocala about 30 miles from U of F in Gainesville. Any regional FT members want to get together to fly/fpv in the forest or around the Marion/Alachua County area I'd be happy to meetup on a weekend or afternoon.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey there pigsfly!

Maybe if the wife does her event again next year we can get together.

Favorite place for FPV so far was Hopkins Prairie. That place was awesome. I was in the wife's buick, and it's getting tired, so I didn't do much back road adventuring. Looked like there were plenty more places that would make great FPV locations west of the prairie.

Welcome to the forum!

pigsfly

Hopkins Prairie is nice, near to some great fresh water springs (Juniper is our favorite). Plan to run out to Juniper in June to capture low altitude aerials for the park service using our freshly built dji 550/APM 2.6 running waypoints over some of the less populated areas. Let me know if you're in the area (anytime) and perhaps we can meet up for?...

kevin

pigsfly

Pigsfly,
Hidy and welcome home!

"With sufficient propulsion, a pig will fly quite nicely"

Frank

Yeah, we do!

P.I.G.S stands for "Photographic Imaging Geospatial Surveillance". or, in a nutshell.. We fly low takin pitchures all over the place.

and.. Love your sig.

kevin