Goldberg Eagle 2 Redemption Build

vhandon

Does anyone have any experience with the EFlite Power 46 motor. I was planning on using two 3s 3000mah batteries in series. The CG works out perfectly with this setup. I have both a 13x8 and a 12x8 prop I plan to try out.

Any reason to believe this will not work with this motor?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Does anyone have any experience with the EFlite Power 46 motor. I was planning on using two 3s 3000mah batteries in series. The CG works out perfectly with this setup. I have both a 13x8 and a 12x8 prop I plan to try out.

Any reason to believe this will not work with this motor?

I'd recommend running the numbers with a calculator like this one:

https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

I'm not sure how much your all up weight will be in relation to the trust it'll generate, but with a little data this should give you some good answers.

However, looking over the specs for that motor it's only rated for 4-5s voltage. A pair of 3s in series would likely let the magic smoke out.

vhandon

However, looking over the specs for that motor it's only rated for 4-5s voltage. A pair of 3s in series would likely let the magic smoke out.
I revisited the specs and you are right. I was looking at so many different motor setups that I must have confused it with something else. By my calculations my 4s 3000mah batteries should work. I found a setup that could handle 2 of those in parallel as well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I revisited the specs and you are right. I was looking at so many different motor setups that I must have confused it with something else. By my calculations my 4s 3000mah batteries should work. I found a setup that could handle 2 of those in parallel as well.

Whew! Smelly disaster averted! :D

Notnewton

I don't think you will have the ground clearance for the 13 inch prop. I put larger wheels on mine and sometimes trim the grass with a 12 inch prop. That is on the stock tricycle gear though.

vhandon

I don't think you will have the ground clearance for the 13 inch prop. I put larger wheels on mine and sometimes trim the grass with a 12 inch prop. That is on the stock tricycle gear though.

I had read about that in a few electric conversion threads so I think I overcompensated. I modified the landing gear to a tail drag setup and added over-sized wheels and front landing gear. At level the 12 inch prop has about 2 inches to spare before hitting the ground. That doesn't mean I will not face plant and snap a prop on landing but I feel good about the clearance.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If I remember correctly, I'm running a 12" prop on my Eagle 2 and it chops the heck out of the grass. It's running the stock tricycle landing gear with tires that are marginally over-sized. I normally have a hard-packed smooth dirt area to land (where sod has been harvested) which works out perfectly.

OliverW

Legendary member
Started on the eaglet... close enough right?
20191103_135922.jpg

vhandon

I finally got to maiden the Eagle 2. I ran out of trim in the air so I will need to do some work on the aileron control surfaces and add more down angle to the motor. I only got a few minutes of (bad) video of the flight but it does look good in the air. 7lbs and no flaps requires a lot more runway that I expected so the landing was a little interesting, but no real damage. I think I will wait until the construction at my regular flying field is completed before getting this one up in the air again. Overall, I claim victory and my road to redemption complete.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Congrats on the mostly successful maiden! I’m surprised it doesn’t slow down that much for landing, as mine comes down easily. Maybe because it’s a couple pounds heavier, I guess.

I’m looking forward to a flight report after it’s trimmed out. I found it to be a very predictable and easy flyer.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Congrats on the flight! She lives! :D :D

Maybe you can program flaperons in to help slow her down for landing?

Arieldeb

Dear my name is Ariel, I am from Argentina, I am 36 years old and I dedicate myself to the model airplane of Loa 17, my reason for sending you this message is to ask you for the plans for Esgle 2, since that was my initial plane and I would like to rebuild one, my email is ariel_debandi@hotmail.com and my wsp +54 9 2634 748000.

Greetings and thanks from Argentina

vhandon

Dear my name is Ariel, I am from Argentina, I am 36 years old and I dedicate myself to the model airplane of Loa 17, my reason for sending you this message is to ask you for the plans for Esgle 2, since that was my initial plane and I would like to rebuild one, my email is ariel_debandi@hotmail.com and my wsp +54 9 2634 748000.

Greetings and thanks from Argentina

The plans that come with the Eagle 2 are to assist in building. They do not have a complete part profile to allow you to build the kit from scratch. Like you, I have a very sentimental attachment to this plane and I do not want to part with the plans at this time.

If you want to build the Eagle 2 I suggest you buy the entire kit. Fortunately, ebay has several for sale including a kit that has been supposedly laser cut.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I loved my original Eaglet 50 in the 80's and love my scratch built all balsa electric powered Eaglet 50 even more. I always wanted an Eagle 63 or Eagle 2 but never found a decent deal for a full kit. I'll probably just have to print plans and build one.....as in the TooJung2Die post above the Eagle 63 plans are out there. Eagle 2 not so much. Wasn't the Eagle 2 simply a laser cut version of the Eagle 63? I'm just guessing.....

If it's any help the Eagle 2 manual is still available for download. LINK

Joe