Golden Age Reproductions 20" Fokker D-7 Build

ariehlflyer

This is one of the best kits I have seen in a while. So much so that I bought it! I usually use plans from sites such as Outerzone and haven't built a kit for a couple of years.
I got this kit from Penn Valley Hobby , but they are closing down this month. The kit is available from Peck-Polymers for about $18.
Caution, due to this being a old plan, you should have a couple of newer kits done first. Ones from Peck, like a stick model are better first models.
Okay, opening the box this is what you get, and it is a lot.

DSCF3358.JPG
You get contest wood, decals, wheels, prop, rubber, Esaki tissue, and plan. The tissue is in orange, green, and white.
DSCF3360.JPG
Here is the wood. It is light, I'd guess about 5 or 6lbft2 . The only hard wood is the 1/8"x1/8" for the LE, which is good. I wish they would include 4 or so hard 1/16x1/16 for the longerons. The printing is good and clear , but with a few ink smears.
The only place I replaced wood was on the TE, but I wish I did the longerons because I keep cracking them.

DSCF3361.JPG
The little bits. The decals look good, more on them after I use them.
Prop looks like a good one, and the other bits look like Peck items. I bent the shaft with a winding hook, and with the included washers on it it feels smooth.
The rubber is probably Tan Super Sport, and 3/16 seems a little small, but I'll start with it.
I'm planning on replacing the peg with 3/32 aluminum tube, so it fits my winding stooge.
My only big gripe is the wheels. They are monstrous hunks of plastic, that weigh 4 grams each. Which is a lot, because the AUW needs to stay under 45 grams. I guess I'll turn some from balsa.
The wire looks like 1/32 or so.

DSCF3364.JPG
The plan is a good one. It is printed on good thick paper, but was hard to get to lay flat. The tissue was rolled up with it, so no wrinkles. It was unclear in some places such as the nose area you can see in the next photo. It is still it is fairly clear for an older plan, but as I said before, it is not for beginners.
DSCF3365.JPG
DSCF3375.JPG
Weaknesses of older kits are becoming evident. The rudder outline kept breaking so I laminated it. I used the kit 1/16"x 1/16" balsa soaked in hot water and wood glue stretched around a fence of pins some of which are removed in this photo. I started doing this on most tips and tail outlines and it saves some weight and adds strength. I was too lazy to do the wing tips this time.
DSCF3377.JPG
Ready for covering at 10 g. for the bare bones.
DSCF3379.JPG
This is purely opinion based on what I have used in the past.

Last edited:

ariehlflyer

Update:
I got the tail covered and some other small things done. The color scheme shown on the plans is extremely complicated.
index.php

Here is the fuse ready to cover. Those uprights snap really easily. I added some balsa gussets for extra strength. The landing gear wire is bound using thread and balsa cement.
DSCF3387.JPG

The guns are fairly simple, but the kit doesn't have any wood for them that I could see.
DSCF3381.JPG

A word on glue. I used Sigment (Balsa cement), which is a acetone glue, on the entire build. I dislike CA because it is so hard to sand. Sigment is easy to sand, quick drying, and is solvent based so it can be reactivated. It is also cheap.

Attachments

• DSCF3385.JPG
    DSCF3385.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Nice progress! Also another vote here for Sigment. I don't mind using CA for joints that will stay fully inside the structure and not end up with covering on them, but use pretty much anything other than CA for ease of sanding on these little free flight builds.

ariehlflyer

Thank you ! I used CA before on the main structure and the glue was so brittle it would pop apart in a hard landing.(on the nearest hard dirt or concrete:) )
Almost done. It still needs new wheels, rubber, and a coat of krylon. Without wheels it is less than 35 grams. :) Paint is still wet.
DSCF3388.JPG
The engine came out much better than I thought it would.
DSCF3390.JPG
I' ll write up an overview later along with flight footage if I get any.

ariehlflyer

Kit overview

Contents are top quality
The design is extremely dated 30s-50s
The color scheme is hard to replicate in tissue. Would be better in paint
Needs stronger wood for the longerons and spars
The gear is left almost completely up to to the builder's imagination
Decalage is good
Waterslide decals are nice

Overall the build was nice. Would I buy it again? Absolutely.
Current Specs
35 grams with rubber
3/16 kit rubber
9 " prop

Some test glides were completed. It is very floaty! Also no nose weight was needed.
Here are some test glides