Gone wireless

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I just want to thank Dave Windestål for an awesome little tip in the form of an off-hand comment in a clip he was in. I've only been flying FPV for a month or so, and have been using a 900Mhz system with Predator goggles. It's been a pain to deal with the short cables that come with the goggles to hook up to my rx.

I can't remember which clip it was, but he mentioned he'd rigged up a 5.8 tx to his 1.3 rx so he could be wireless from the goggles. I scored a cheap 100mW 5.8 tx off RCG and I've done the same. It works a treat, at least in the house. Next step is to find 5 minutes of daylight when it's not windy...

UndCon

UndCon
yes it works just fine - but adds yet another device that can fail ;)

I went a step further - put a groundstation on a hard hat

TX, LIPO and the dongle (incl a 1S LIPO) for my Goggles.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Too right... There's a hell of a lot of dodgy, cheap electronics upon which any FPV operation depends upon...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yep. Disregard any 'banter' between us. He secretly wishes he originally went with a 9x instead of his DX7 ;)

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Very happy with my DX7 (w/ bearing mod). A few times I've considered upgrading a few times but always concluded that the DX7 is all I need and suitable for the task!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I used to like my 9x with the stock firmware. With ER9x I LOVE it. But now that I'm delving into FPV, 8 channels is NOT ENOUGH!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There is ONE advantage to DSM2, and that's the ability to work with a lower powered 2.4 video system IF you turn on the video tx first, then the control tx.

Nonamerc

Arman
There is ONE advantage to DSM2, and that's the ability to work with a lower powered 2.4 video system IF you turn on the video tx first, then the control tx.

Theory? It wont work, at a dutch fpv meeting someone with dsm2 did the same and it did not work...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've not tried it myself, but the theory is that the control tx picks 2 channels that don't have any/much interference, but only if you turn on the vtx first.

Nonamerc

Arman
In theory it will work, but the channels will still be to close to each other and will cause bad signal for your FPV system!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, question... I've played with the channels on the 5.8tx to try and get the best signal possible with the stock antennas. I can get a clear picture with all of them, but I also get a 'buzz' every few seconds. I've done all my testing inside, and the glitch is pretty much not noticeable when I'm about 1m from the vtx. Could this be multipathing given all the hard surfaces inside (I've got cp antennas on the 900Mhz system and no multipathing issues)?

I seem to recall that I had something similar, but not as pronounced, with the stock antennas on my 900Mhz system. If it is multipathing, will it disappear outside when there aren't any objects to bounce off? I didn't get any multipathing outside with the stock antennas on 900Mhz. Hopefully they do, as it seems silly to buy 5.8 cp antennas for just relaying video a few metres...