Good Aerial Photography Quadcopter

Island RC

I plan on doing some aerial photography during the summer, but my only multirotor at the moment is a FPV250L. I want to upgrade to something a little bigger and more reliable. I want to be able to carry a gimbal and gopro as well as my fpv gear (I already have a gopro and fpv gear, but i need to buy a gimbal). Right now i was looking at the Xugong V2 Pro from immersion rc. Does anyone have any other suggestions or comments on what kind of setup would be best? Thanks.

ExperimentalRC

For my Aerial photography I use an s500 frame with 12x4.5mr props, 2814 750kv motors, 30a ESCs, naze32, gopro, crappy gimbal, and 4000-5000mah 3s. I get flight times of 12-15 mins in 20 degree weather, so I expect to get 15-18 mins in summer. I like the frame because of its rail mounting system.

FrankLavoy

@ExperimentalRC, I see that you (and the FliteTest crew for that matter) are real keen on building your own quad but I don't have those skills and am more of a "RTF" type of guy. Would you (or the FliteTest crew) know how the Yuneec Q500 would compare to the 350 QX3 AP combo? I'm thinking of starting an AP business but with limited budget (and no building skills), thought to go with the 350 QX3 AP at under $1K but still toying with the idea of the Q500 (approx $1.3K) and further down the line, maybe a DJI Inspire 1!
Would appreciate your two cents worth here.

quadsview

@ExperimentalRC, I see that you (and the FliteTest crew for that matter) are real keen on building your own quad but I don't have those skills and am more of a "RTF" type of guy. Would you (or the FliteTest crew) know how the Yuneec Q500 would compare to the 350 QX3 AP combo? I'm thinking of starting an AP business but with limited budget (and no building skills), thought to go with the 350 QX3 AP at under $1K but still toying with the idea of the Q500 (approx $1.3K) and further down the line, maybe a DJI Inspire 1!
Would appreciate your two cents worth here.

Ok, here is my take on the whole ready to fly vs build it yourself, I personally think building it yourself is a lot better, here's why. First, I believe everyone has some building skills. Second, when you are out in the field flying, you are going to crash. And when you do so you need to be able to get to your electronics quickly, and with ready to fly multirotors they are usually inside some nice molded cover that can be a pain to take off. Finally, I would recommend you fly the quad yourself rather than let gps do it for you. (I am not trying to offend anyone in this post)NHF

Island RC

For my Aerial photography I use an s500 frame with 12x4.5mr props, 2814 750kv motors, 30a ESCs, naze32, gopro, crappy gimbal, and 4000-5000mah 3s. I get flight times of 12-15 mins in 20 degree weather, so I expect to get 15-18 mins in summer. I like the frame because of its rail mounting system.

I was looking into something a little smaller. The reason I liked the xugong is that it has the intergrated EZOSD and is foldable. I was also looking a bit at the QAV400 with a gimbal. Do you have any other suggestions in that size of quadcopter, or do you have any experiences with either of these?

ExperimentalRC

I was looking into something a little smaller. The reason I liked the xugong is that it has the intergrated EZOSD and is foldable. I was also looking a bit at the QAV400 with a gimbal. Do you have any other suggestions in that size of quadcopter, or do you have any experiences with either of these?
I don't have experience with either of those specifically, but I just finished building an electrohub, and I'm really liking the size. A gimbal could easily be attached. I like the electrohub because of the price. The QAV400 and Xugong look like very nice kits, and I look forward to getting my hands on them in the future, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the electrohub. If you have the money, then I'd recommend the Xugong over the QAV400 because it can fit 10 inch props, but I don't have first hand experience with either of them.

I did go somewhat overkill with my AP rig, but I still have bad memories from my DJI Phantom and that piece of crap.

liamstrain

I've really been enjoying the Yunecc Q500+ - there are some limitations and restrictions I wish I could more easily override, but as a starting point it is pretty impressive. Miles more stable as an AP platform than the smaller Phantoms.

When I start to set up a rig capable of carrying the Panasonic GH4, I'll probably build a custom.

spctrkn65

I purchased a blade 350 qx2 ap combo when the price fell after the release of the newer models. The camera it comes with isnt the greatest but still takes decent video. The gimbal is super steady and i use the cgo-1 app on my phone mounted on a tripod to view and control the camera while flying. From day 1 i binded the multirotor in "GPS OFF" mode because i just dont trust the sensors on these quads be it blade,dji or any others as ive read the horror stories about flyaways. I prefer to be in total control myself while flying and its worked for me so far. I also have a blade 180qx with a 606 keychain camera mounted on it which i think is a good budjet friendly way to get into aerial video. The 180 is much more stable than the nanoqx and can even handle a little wind.