Good beginner FPV setup?

Zigon

Hi all,

Around a year ago I bought a Hobby King Bixler 2 Glider PNP kit. I made a custom transmitter/receiver thing for it. Currently running a 3S 3000 mAh battery.

Recently, I have also been looking into getting into FPV. I have been mainly looking at this Mini Camera with Transmitter and these FPV goggles. I also seen this transmitter/camera combo which would allow some upgradability regarding the camera or transmitter in the future. Not 100% sure what would be a good setup for my plane though?

I currently live in South Australia and have looked up regulation regarding radio transmission and what the power limits. According to this site, it appears that anything up to 2W on the 5.8GHz spectrum is legal?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

FDS

Elite member
The camera and goggles you linked would be ideal for using in a plane, make sure there’s airflow over the VTX.
Don’t know what the Aus radio rules are but there are plenty of FPV sites that tell you what’s legal.
For a medium sized plane like the Bixler light weight should be your main consideration.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Fpv is all about trusting your gear. In my 4+ years of fpv I have learned to not trust those aio mini set ups much past 50-75 feet no matter what power settings.

Granted I have never put one in fixed wing craft nor over said 50 - 75 feet as they have never allowed me to hold video connection beyond that range in the quads I have put them on.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Fpv is all about trusting your gear. In my 4+ years of fpv I have learned to not trust those aio mini set ups much past 50-75 feet no matter what power settings.

Granted I have never put one in fixed wing craft nor over said 50 - 75 feet as they have never allowed me to hold video connection beyond that range in the quads I have put them on.

I've had a LITTLE better success than you have with AIO boards...The ones in the TinyWhoops work pretty well. That said, the best range I got was about 150 feet (from one end of the outfield on a softball field to the other end) and as soon as I got near the poles for lighting the field, the signal got HORRIBLE.

Zigon

Hmm right, thanks for the advice.
I generally fly a radius slightly bigger (~80 Meters = 262 Feet) than my local oval, so the AIO board might not be a good choice then.

frankofino

For I live i Germany I cannot easily buy the FX combo. I found the fatshark RECON on ebay but the FX cam I can get has this clover antenna on it, not a Dipol. Does this make a big diff? Thanks so far
Frank