Good morning from a sunny New Zealand.

bracesport

Legendary member
@chrisvdv - No problem to PM me.

I did some build work over the weekend with the Adams board. It is thinner, softer, and the card peals easier that the previous board from Bunnings and Gordon Harris art supplies. Seems to do the job and is a tad lighter I think!

Hobbytechnz

I am a complete newbie to the hobby that stumbled on this forum and then the Flight Test shop, just to see what it is all about. Then it happened:

My name is.... and I am an rc plane-aholic....... please help!!!!

Help number 1: Can I skin a completed foam board build with coloured duct tape? Will it have any negative or adverse handling characteristics on the plane?

On the foam board I used it's not possible to remove the paper, so I have to skin on top of the paper.

Thanks

Hey Chris. Looksharp stores have coloured apcking tape. I use it on my FT builds.

Cheers
Rob

chrisvdv

Hey Chris. Looksharp stores have coloured apcking tape. I use it on my FT builds.

Cheers
Rob

Hi @Hobbytechnz, sorry for my late reply. Sometimes life just happens when you least expect it to.

About the colour packing tape, I have sourced some from Prime Pack and also from Protector Safety .

I believe you can also get it from Hobbyking as Wing Tape.
Chris

Crumple

but here in Aus...
It comes in sheets 815 x 1012 mm and weighs 390 grams for the 5 mm sheet

Try Reno Art, an Aussie company - A1 size (591 x 840 x 5) is 168g, 338 gsm - yours is 473gsm
You'll just have to join it if you want 1m wings, but you can build in dihedral...

And available in NZ - Look Smart, and ?...

Crumple

Last edited:

Crumple

Just a heads up on my FT Simple Cub scratch build...
Total weight of build = 881 gram (Complete with servos and receiver excluding batt.)
Wing Loading WL = 4.48 oz./sq. ft...

Wow! 4-ish oz per sq.ft is down into DLG territory - floaty gliders
Great for learning - light weight = soft crashes
And if they look good, they fly right

How does it fly?

Crumple

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Try Reno Art, an Aussie company - A1 size (591 x 840 x 5) is 168g, 338 gsm - yours is 473gsm
You'll just have to join it if you want 1m wings, but you can build in dihedral...

And available in NZ - Look Smart, and ?...

Crumple
For the cost of the freight I can purchase a lot more sheets locally of the board I already use. In addition I have become quite adept at removing the paper where needed and so I save 30% of the board weight for each side I remove the paper from. The size becomes important when I build larger planes as I do not like "Joined" fuselages!

In addition the foam itself, (with all of the paper removed), can almost double for DEPRON in building such planes/models.

As I use FB in multiple thicknesses from 3mm to 5.5mm the supplier mentioned does not offer an adequate range in thicknesses and so to order a single thickness from one supplier with freight added would be against my business model.

Thank you for the information but at this time the supplier is too expensive and too remote for my purposes as I get local delivery FREE!

Have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
Gordon Harris art supplies carry 3/6/12mm board in 500x750 or 1000x750 - prices are ok - the paper is hard to remove unless in strips, especially on the 3mm - good quality FB - I am using some now on my DLG wing.

Uncle Bills carries the 5.5mm Ready Board (DTFB).

Bunnings carries FB too, but I don't know the brand.