Gopro copy from china

jamiedco

Prop Killer
after i trashed my gopro 2 weeks ago iv been looking for a new camera . i sound this one on sunsky
http://www.sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.id=268041
it looks like it could be quite good . and it is compatable with all my gopro parts .
S-PIR-0732_1.jpg S-PIR-0732_6.jpg
i have ordered one and will post footage when it arrives and i test it . im hoping it will be close to the gopro quality of footage .

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
It's hard to know where to draw the line on counterfeits... There are a million digital video cameras with more or less the same specs as the GoPro out there. I think this one touches a nerve, not because it's accessories are compatible with the GoPro, but because it's made to look like a GoPro as well.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I don't think it's fair to call this one a counterfeit.
Clone, copy, generic- sure but counterfeit?
As long as it live up to it's specs and doesn't claim to be a GoPro I don't see what the problem is.
Is it worth what they want for it? Not likely...
Especially when an HD keychain cam can be had for 50 bucks.

wingspan100

5k FB Friends Airshowrc
In America, a patented product will not confuse the general public. What do you think of when you see the copy? I think of GoPro.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I have to reluctantly agree. The copy is using its likeness to the genuine product to distinguish itself from other crap cameras on the market. I also agree that nobody who'd buy a real GoPro would buy one of these expecting it to be the same as the genuine product.

Personally I don't like the shape of the GoPro and would rather have a camera that creates less drag (also not a fan of the fisheye picture from the GoPro).

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Kinda silly for me to argue for this camera.
Looks like a cheap imitation.
I doubt it's a very good camera and doubt that the hardware is interchangeable with GoPro.
I wouldn't buy one or recommend someone to buy one.
I still wouldn't call it a counterfeit.
If they used a name similar enough to be misread or a logo or description meant to mislead then I would.

+1 Lobstersmasher I have a GoPro and I am really surprised that they are so poplar for RC use.
I would think something like the Replay XD would be perfect for imbedding into a flying wing.
Even if taped on would be a lot more aerodynamic than the GoPro.
http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/

wingspan100

5k FB Friends Airshowrc
The Liquid image EGO I mentioned earlier is smaller, more aerodynamic, Has zoom, 12mp still camera and the lens angle can either be 90 degrees or 135 degrees wide angle. All operated via WiFi smartphone. A much better camera. You can see a sample HERE

jamiedco

Prop Killer
i would not call this a imitation as the gopro hero and hero 2 have both been discontinues . so the chines have just bought up the moulds and the tech . but like i said i have ordered one and i will review it when it arrives .
for the price i dont think it could be that bad

flyingAce

I think everyone knows this is wrong to buy this from China. A definite contributor to our economic weakness. The price is irresistible, and the likeness has been clearly ripped off.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
the gopro is made in china and sold from the Netherlands so there is no real deference there . and why would i pay 4 times the price locally if i can get it from china . im all for supporting local economy but when its 4 times the price then screw local .

jamiedco

Prop Killer
the video needs to be put to hd in video settings . i checked it out in hd its awesome . i will post once i test it

fishycomics

even the video link is of youku. Lol.

Video quality is not bad. For that dough I be happy to toss up on a plane and if something happens I at least have my gopro in hand working?

Thanks for pointing out this make and model. Not Counterfeit, just another branded company. Like Range, Toshiba, known as Aiptek? Han-shieng, DXG, ispan, another three identical camera .

thanks again for the posts

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Not impressed by that demo.
For that kind of money I would expect much better.
Jamie take this however you want but I think an HD Keycam that you can find for around $50 bucks has better video quality.

fishycomics

Yes the Keychain cam 808 New #16 key cams will take excellent shots in 1280x720, and if you like the Hobbyking wingcam a RD32 skeleton, purchased lott will do absolutely fine as well? They may be the better cam a lot smaller and yet another Made in Hong Kong. deal. As long as you purchase from the correct sellers, you get great support. Able to modify with three type of lenses, you cannot ask for more. and with todays firmware. time lapse auto record and more. for $43.00 get 3 you be set.

Just remember many counterfeits are out there. look for the real deal enjoy

jamiedco

Prop Killer
well anyway if the camera is crap i can use the accessors with a real gopro . i am planning on buying one for myself for xmas . and even if the video is not so great it will still be used for stills on the quadcopter