Gopro hd hero 2 photo resolution question

jobbzz

Hello,

I have a question about the gopro hd hero 2.

If I set the gopro to picture mode and then take a aerial picture of my house is the resolution good enough to print it on an A1 sheet of paper so that's 549x841mm (21.61x33.11 inch) or does the picture get hazy?

Job

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
In short, Yes.

Doing some searching, the GoPro HD Hero 2 has a still photo resolution of 11 megapixels. Around 6-8 megapixels is enough to make almost any size print. Why? Because the bigger the print is, the further back you have to stand to view it.

I can't find the exact dimensions for 11 megapixels, but for 12 mp it's 4000 x 3000 pixels. If each pixel was just a millimeter, the print could be made into a 4 x 3 meter print! The distance required to view such a big picture would make each millimeter indistinguishable! Now if you print half that size, (one quarter of the area, 2 x 1.5 m) the size of each pixel would be 0.5 x 0.5 mm. If you're looking from 20 cm away it might be a noticeable pixelation, but with more than 50 cm away (closest normal distance for a framed picture) it won't be noticeable. In your case, 54 x 84 cm, a pixel will be barely noticeable.

So, yes. It will give you a nice print as long as the shot is taken in focus, and at the correct light settings.

jobbzz

well colorex I think the next time I sent you a pm because so far you have answered al my questions ;) but thanks for the answer. But I think it is not only the mp which count but also the lens.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
well colorex I think the next time I sent you a pm because so far you have answered al my questions ;) but thanks for the answer. But I think it is not only the mp which count but also the lens.

Yes, of course. But the GoPro is known for good quality (Not like cheap chinese cameras with 14 mp and really crappy photos), so I didn't bring that up.

And the point of posting on a forum is so it can be a reference for people looking for the same information. And no, I don't know everything.

jobbzz

well I gonna find out I orderd a hd 2 motorsports edition for only €250,- that's an bargain if you live in the Netherlands normal they cost €350 and the naked version costs €300 so I think it's cheap.