GoPro3 FPV Video Cable DIY

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Gopro3FPVcable17.jpg

GoPro just released their new Hero3 HD camera lineup, which boasts being 30% smaller, 25% lighter while being able to deliver 1080p in 60 frames per second and even 2.7K in 30FPS .

But while shrinking the camera, GoPro removed the 2.5mm video out jack. But fear not, the GoPro 3 is still able to output the composite video we need for FPV flying. Instead of a normal 5 pin mini USB connector, GoPro chose the much less common 10 pin version. This connector now contains the standard USB pins as well as microphone input and the video output.

Unfortunately it’s not as straight forward as simply soldering the cable to the connector. A 100K ohm resistor is also needed to kick the camera into video out mode. In this guide I’ll guide you through making your own cable, so that you too can enjoy the live output of this great camera, without having to dish out 20$ for a bulky cable from GoPro.

Gopro3FPVcable1.jpg

First off you need to get your hands on a 10 pin mini USB connector. They can be found on various electronic stores online. I ordered mine here. You also need a 100K resistor. Any watt rating will do, as there will only be microamps going through it. I used a standard thru-hole 1/4W resistor I had laying around. It’s a little big so if you need to order the resistor I recommend getting a smaller one, like a 1/8W. You also need a cable of some sort. I used a 32 AWG servo lead, which is nice and thin.

GoPro3-Video-Out-530x356.png

This is how we’re going to connect everything.

Gopro3FPVcable4.jpg

I removed the unused pins to gain more space, reduce the chance of a short and make it easier to work on.

Gopro3FPVcable5.jpg

I soldered the cables first, which I think is a good move as they are the most fiddly. Do not use to much heat on the soldering iron or the connector and/or the insulation on the wires will melt.

Gopro3FPVcable6.jpg

The resistor is connected between pin 7 (the ID pin) and ground. This is how I mounted my resistor. The metal case of the connector is connected to ground inside of the GoPro, but if you wanted you could connect it to the video ground pin instead. Connecting it to the case does make it very sturdy though and there is no chance of it shifting around.

Gopro3FPVcable7.jpg

Pretty compact considering the size of the resistor.

Gopro3FPVcable8.jpg

I wanted my connector to stick out as little as possible, so I bent the wires 90° back over the resistor.

Gopro3FPVcable9.jpg

Yay! It works! Time to make the cable robust.

Gopro3FPVcable10.jpg

To make the cable as though as possible I decided to use “InstaMorph”, which is a plastic that after it’s been heated up can be shaped and molded into almost any shape. Once cooled of it becomes incredible hard and very though. Check out Chads excellent video showing how to use “InstaMorph”

Gopro3FPVcable11.jpg

Instamorph is awesome.

Gopro3FPVcable12.jpg

Pretty streamlined but stilleasy to grab and pull out.

Gopro3FPVcable13.jpg

Time to paint it.

Gopro3FPVcable14.jpg

The paint sticks well to the Instamorph. Our DIY analog video cable looks great!

Gopro3FPVcable16.jpg

Done! Works like a charm, low weight, robust and easy to plug in and out. What more could ask for?

GoPro3FPVcable20.jpg

Here is the DIY cable vs the original GoPro cable.

GoPro3FPVcable21.jpg

Much more streamlined.
Now get out there and make awesome FPV videos using your new GoPro3 video out cable!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Fantastic stuff guys! It will take a little work but I will need to do this for my first Quad.
Keep up the great vids!

PS: David+Christian= Best ever Fast Tips!!

tadbaker

How is the lag time with the Hero3 vs. the Hero2? I have been nervous to make the transition. I have heard that the new hero3 has some issues with lag time as well as just shuts off mid flight. any thoughts?

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I am not formally educated in electronics, however I thought I understood that there needed to be a voltage, ground inputs for the power supply, and A/V outputs for the respective signals. But this diagram only has A/V, and VGND, so now I'm at a loss...

GoPro3-Video-Out-530x356.png

What is VGND, and how does it work?

I have Googled VGND, but I keep coming up with complicated data sheets, and schematics, none of which are dummied down enough for me to comprehend.

Thank you in advance for any light you are able to shed on this subject.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
VGND is Video Ground. It is a common ground with Video Signal, Audio Signal and Power.

Thurmond

Carbon

Elemental Madness
So is there any way to power the GoPro off of you FPV battery? I mean, no more blackouts and such right?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
So is there any way to power the GoPro off of you FPV battery? I mean, no more blackouts and such right?

If the battery has a full charge it should last about 2.5 hours. According to GoPro support you can charge through the USB port at the same time you are recording as long as the USB port is NOT on a computer (you must use a separate USB charging supply) so a hacked USB cable supplied from a 5V 1A UBEC could power the camera while flying. My case is stated for the Hero2 which has a different video out port than the USB.

The Hero3 of this thread can probably be modified easily for a UBEC power input using the same plug as the video but I have not researched it.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Anthemius

HI Guys.. this link : Check out Chads excellent video showing how to use “InstaMorph”
do not work for me..
any idea ? thx

Anthemius

deleted

I have made two of these cables now and video works perfectly however I get no audio recorded on the Gopro. Anyone else have this problem or know what the issue might be?