Got Fat Sharks?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I love them Roy, they're feeling great.

I hope to get some more practice in this weekend.

nunieboy

hey guys, just thought i'd give an update.

After i got my fatsharks, i've set it up on my ft 3d and flew with the equipment on it, but not fpv. no spotter, and too much water.
then tests and school stuff came up, so i didn't get a chance. i had a small window to show my gf what it is, and i let her have first use of the fatsharks. man she was talking about the view that i was super excited to use it.

I finally got to use it today with her as my spotter. the camera was a little dark, i think it was cause it was too bright outside.

it's super scary up there.

AND EVERYTHING LOOKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. but man was it fun. i did 2x 2min flights, I'm still too scared to fly so after a few loops in line of sight i landed. I let my gf use it a 3d time with my just flying loops and rolls

Thank you for all the help i've gotten from this website! you guys are amazing!

I have the fat shark predator v2 kit with 250mW transmitter and 600 TVL camera. I got them a few days ago. I noticed a few things others have noticed too that is that the camera goes black and white for some reason. I tested this at home yesterday. First when i got the kit the camera went black and white after a little while. I thought it had something to do with being indoors (theory other people have had in other forums). Yesterday i made my maiden flight and it was all black and white while i was outdoors in full sunshine. So in the evening i decided to test it. I let the setup be as it was installed on the airplane. I powerd it up with a fresh 3S lipo (the included power board can take a 2s, 3s or 4s lipo, it connects to the balance connector). What happend was that after 30 seconds the picture whent completly out. I figured it was due to heating of either the camera or the transmitter since they didnt get enough cooling taped to a EPO plane. Another theory (after reading some forums) was that it had wrong voltages to camera and thats why it would drop to greyscale instead of color. My theory is that its a combination of a) overheating, b) wrong voltages.

Proof: 1) it overheats when i put in a 3S fresh battery (indoors it takes 30 seconds for it to cut videofeed if i have a velcro attached to the bottom of the transmitter)
2) The transmitter does not overheat enough so it cuts the video totaly when i use a 2S battery neither indoors or outdoors. But it goes greyscale pretty quick. So i think it goes greyscale because the camera overheats possibly because it gets a too low voltage and therefore runs a higher current into the camera. The camera feels warm to touch when run indoors. I did not expect it to heat at all. I have not yet measured the voltage to the camera. But i will do that too. All my flights have been "greyscale" altough the preflight check then it has shown color for a while. Its not a range issue since i get a good picture out to about 1 km with stock antennas. I think its heat and wrong voltages causing the trouble. Probably the tolerances for the components (Cheap components) is to large so the voltages are not what the camera wants them to be. Thats why i tried with 2S and 3S battery and with different results. If the voltage regulation worked properly the results would have been the same since both the transmitter and the camera would have received the same voltages all the time. Now its obvious that something with the voltage regulation is not as it should be. I will investigate this more when i start setting up the OSD.

PS no im not a noob when it comes to electronics thats why i dont ask how to "connect" this correctly. Unless some connectors are faulty from the factory then its not a connection problem. Its likely a design problem since so damn many have problems with these cameras going black and white. My guess is that its cheap parts with high toleranses that are a bit off on the voltages making the camera and transmitter perform suboptimal.

-Carolus Rex the burning dot in the sky

Today i measured the voltage supplied to the camera it was 5 volt spot on. So my guess is that it is overheating causing the camera to go bw after a few minutes.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've never experienced that Carolus. If you come up with a solution, I'll be interested in hearing it.

I think its not solvable im sure it is something wrong with either the transmitter, the camera or the goggles. Unfortunatly i have no other camera to test with. Else i would have replaced the camera to see if its the camera or if it is the transmitter that somehow fucks up the colors. My bet is that its heating since it works fine for a few minutes outdoors and then goes black and white when the system has reached its "running temperature". A third option is that its actually the goggles. I need to find a composite video source to hook them up to and ill test them too (altough that bypasses the receiver in the goggles). Actually i dont think its the goggles. It is most likely the transmitter. Im actually very worried what it will do when its summer. Now its winter here and zero degrees celsius. Wonder what happens when it becomes 20C-30C in summer time and sun shines. Since it overheats indoors sitting on a table for 30 seconds. Now the transmitter is mounted under the wing on the fuselage with the antenna angled so it points upwards. So it should get ample cooling when flying. But still it stays b/w. The color is gone regardless if i glide or if i have the motor on. The motor does not seem to affect the transmission at all. Its a hitec skyscout im using and the range for both video and rc is as good as it gets. That is more than 1 km (possibly close to 1 mile) of range with this setup and stock antennas (tested by getting lost and flying in wrong direction :D).

/Carolus Rex scratching my head and mounting a osd

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I don't know if this pertains to your issue or not but; when I have been on the border of loosing signal, I have noticed a color drop-out first. I'm wondering if this is the case in your situation. Are you positive both VTx and VRx are on the same channel? I have heard of being able to pick up adjacent channels but with reduced range and in your case would explain the B/W picture.

Xuzme yes im positive they are on same channel since when i flip through the channels on the fatshark goggles its the only channel with a picture. How ever yesterday i installed a OSD with GPS. Then i discoverd that the osd got a bit disturbed picture. I switched the osd from pal to ntsc and all of a sudden the picture from the camera went color also. Without OSD it went bw after a few minutes. Today with OSD i could fly for 30 minutes and the picture was color all the time. Only thing i can come up with is that its some issue with ntsc/pal setting. It is suposed to switch automatically on the goggles. So my new theory is that the goggles after a few min switched to pal mode where as the camera was in ntsc mode. When i discoverd the osd distorted lines i switched the osd to ntsc and all of a sudden the picture also stayed color all the time. Note that from the beginning i did not have OSD everything was just original fatshark. Now i have the cheap G-OSD III connected to it. Works well. Except that the "height" measurement that comes from the gps is not to be relied upon.