GP - Patch Antenna

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I found this interesting DIY patch antenna on the web, has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.rc-cam.com/gp_patch.htm

pat_comp.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks for posting that, Colorex! That will probably be useful!

You're welcome!

-----

Does anyone know what Tx antenna this could be used with?

-----

I wonder if there could be an antenna comparison episode, like the FPV system episode, but for helical, cloverleaf, and patch antenna. Gonna suggest that now.

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
I built it. Scaled it up to 910Mhz. Real easy and very cheap!
I outperformed my stock video antenna. Had it out over a mile without a glitch

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope
Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I built it. Scaled it up to 910Mhz. Real easy and very cheap!
I outperformed my stock video antenna. Had it out over a mile without a glitch

Was that 200mW? What Tx antenna did you use?
I might get the 200mW on 900MHz for FPV and wanted to know which antenna is best.

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
Yes 200mW 900mhz HK video TX. I use the stock TX antenna on the plane and the patch on the receiver. I'll post some pics

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
Plane and rx

Attachments

• IMG_20111105_130154.jpg
    IMG_20111105_130154.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20111105_130001.jpg
    IMG_20111105_130001.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20111105_130127.jpg
    IMG_20111105_130127.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20111105_130147.jpg
    IMG_20111105_130147.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 25

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
And how well does it compare to helical antennas?
I have never tried one. I've heard that if you use the helical on the ground and a cloverleaf in the air you get better performance as far as maintaining signal while banking hard, nosedives, etc. Range is reported as 'moderate'. I have no idea what distance moderate will cover!
Video Aerial Systems

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks! Those pics really help!

I have never tried one. I've heard that if you use the helical on the ground and a cloverleaf in the air you get better performance as far as maintaining signal while banking hard, nosedives, etc. Range is reported as 'moderate'. I have no idea what distance moderate will cover!
Video Aerial Systems

So how well does your system perform in hard banks and dives?

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
Thanks! Those pics really help!

So how well does your system perform in hard banks and dives?
Depends how close I am. If I'm within 400-500yards I have no problems. It will get a little fuzzy if I'm way out and do a hard turn or dive. I try to remember to turn right when I'm far away because that's the wing the tx is on. I have a couple videos posted in the fpv section here Sometimes when the esc and motor get between the tx and rx I start to get static. I'm also going to upgrade the saw filter in the rx.
Here's part of a vid where I went a mile with the same setup but on an Easystar.

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
At 3:35 in that video is where I hit the right edge of the patch beamwidth. @ 3:39 you can see me standing outside the screened patio of the house. that glint at me feet is the patch, pointed out towards where I was flying. It wasnt affected by those bushes or the trees in the parking lot. I had it angled up about 35 degrees.