GPS on Kiss FC

Gatormurica

I have been enjoying my Kiss quad. I like the way it flies. Is there was a way for a GPS module where I can put my GPS quads in and it will fly on a kiss fc? Is gps conrole intagradeable into Kiss? Would about a Kombini fc?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I don't think KISS has any GPS support, but I'm not positive. Betaflight has limited support, but no GPS assisted flight modes, just display information. To get GPS assisted flight you need to look at iNav.

Gatormurica

That looks like some sweet gear. Will that flight controller be as nice on the sticks as the kiss? Or do you think I should just make another quad for that feature?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I wouldn't bother with any of that on a miniquad unless I was building something for really long range, but then I'd probably just use a wing instead. I don't think you'll get the same flight experience from iNav that you get from KISS, they have very different purposes.

cnc_dave

not familiar with any of KISS stuff. check out youtube vids for INAV, its a branch of cleanflight/betaflight geared towards gps flight modes, including mission planning and return to home. look for vids and info on version 1.7 and above. current version is 1.9.
its pretty sweet if the gps stuff interest you and it works with a lot of more common flight controllers that run cleanflight or betaflight.
its a big help if the flight control has more than 3 uarts

cnc_dave

not familiar with any of KISS stuff. check out youtube vids for INAV, its a branch of cleanflight/betaflight geared towards gps flight modes, including mission planning and return to home. look for vids and info on version 1.7 and above. current version is 1.9.
its pretty sweet if the gps stuff interest you and it works with a lot of more common flight controllers that run cleanflight or betaflight.
its a big help if the flight control has more than 3 uarts.
i have it on a 6" quad and it works for fixed wing also

Gatormurica

Ok cool. Thank you for pointing me towards some info. How reliable is a GPS system? Does it take a lot of milliamps?

cnc_dave

reliable? as long as compass is calibrated properly, which is no big deal. the first time i tried return to home, hands off the sticks, it landed with it two feet of launch point and it was pretty breezy. i was impressed.
as far as power, mine runs off 3.3v pad on the fc. my gps unit came from banggood $20.
check out inav playlist for "project blue falcon" or "painless360" on youtube