Grand Esprit Renovation

earthsciteach

Starting this thread caused a question to pop into my head. How many project threads have I started and not finished? I have learned that I should never begin a build thread before that build is complete because it pretty much guarantees that I won't finish the project within the decade. Despite knowing this, here I go, again!

I check in on the local craigslist every couple of weeks to see if there are any amazing scores to be had. Of course, there are never AMAZING finds, at least not for me. But a few weeks ago I got very lucky! Scanning the adds, I come across an old, wooden sailplane. No details were given other than a wingspan of 11 feet and a price that I am embarrassed to share.

I made arrangements to pick it up one evening after school, and was not about to haggle over the price, even without knowing anything about the condition or identity of the sailplane. Upon buying it, I was not at all surprised to see that it was in rough condition. No matter that it didn't have a canopy or that the wings were covered in orange monokote from the early '70s. It was big, balsa and cheap!

The first thing that really struck me was the weight of the fuselage - it was a serious brick! There was a silly amount of lead in the nose, which I removed. Still felt like a long, skinny medicine ball. It was about this time that I figured out the identity of the plane, an Airtronics Grand Esprit from the early 1970s. And what a gem it is!

So, the fuselage was still crazy heavy. I had noticed that the texture of the finish didn't feel like paint over balsa but had a certain familiarity to it. I was driving home from school when it hit me - Bondo! My suspicion proved true. Whomever built this thing was a master Bondo sculptor. The ENTIRE fuselage was coated. The shoulders where the wings meet the fuse had about 1/8" on them. That stuff isn't light!

I began hand sanding, but quickly realized that I had to find a more efficient method of gunk removal. I love my Dremel! Took that thing right down to wood and fiberglass real quick! In my hands, the speed of removal by the Dremel is balanced by the havoc it can wreak upon the underlying surface. But, in modern times, we have light wight spackling compound and it is a wonderful thing.

The fuse is close to being ready to throw a layer of glass cloth onto. I've started carving a plug for a canopy form. Wings are undergoing monokote removal, which is actually the most painful part of the whole process so far. And, there are some brittle glue joints what I'll reset properly on the wings. Its moving right along and I'm loving it. I think I found my true niche in this hobby and that's restoring old planes. Shortly after acquiring the Esprit, a mountain of late '60s, early '70s RC airplanes, accessories and equipment fell on me. I'll be posting threads on those as I work on them. :D

Here's pics to look at!

Attachments

• IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    512.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 18

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Nice project! I recently picked up a bird of time and have been working on it on and off. Looking forward to your finished product. Is that a 3 meter sailplane?

So do you use a high start on this thing? Does it take two bungees? Can't wait to see it fly!

Most likely a high start would be the best method of launching it. Without ailerons it would be pretty difficult to tow. Especially if it is a windy day.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Honestly Pat? I love this project. Its just too cool. I think that rather than vacuum forming from your plug you should just glass a hatch and be done with it. Looks to have solid bones. Get her done right man!

earthsciteach

Its been a while since I updated this thread. I've made some decent progress over the last week. The old bird is coming along nicely. Here are a couple of pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Inspiring! She's shaping up beautifully! I have an ACE 4-40 bipe frame for my first restoration over the next couple months, so I'd love hearing more specifics about techniques, tips, and problem solving you're doing on this build. All knowledge helps. :)

earthsciteach

The biggest pain in the process was getting the old covering off. When I began removing the covering, it was so brittle that it was like trying to peel cheap tape off a roll. Just kept ripping. I used a heat gun and that helped the covering come off, but the color remained on the balsa. At that point I decided that the best course of action was to simply sand the surfaces to the point where the areas of remaining color were not noticeably higher than the bare balsa using 150 grit. I filled in low spots with light weight spackling, sanded and sanded, then put about three coats of primer on. I hit the last primer coat with 400 grit, then sprayed on gloss white. I applied 3 coats of that paint. Even with 6 coats of paint plus primer, the airframe is significantly lighter than when I bought it. Here's a pic of how she sits at the moment. I still have to attach the control surfaces and cover the bottom of one wing (ran short on covering).

IMG_1444.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
The Grand Esprit is a three channel RES -- Rudder-Elevator-Spoiler.

Not all that uncommon among old-school large gliders. Lightweight servos are a fairly recent innovation and this glider dates back to '74.

earthsciteach

She and I are of the same vintage, Dan. I was four years old when the design hit the market. Its nice to know that it is a very coveted sailplane.

I'm to the point of reinstalling the spoilers and am not completely sure of the complete mechanism. I suspect a spring is involved, though. Hoping to get some help on this. I bet the Viking knows...